Choosing A Tankless Water Heater in Fort Worth
Selecting a Tankless Water Heater | Tankless Water Heaters Fort Worth
When faced with selecting a new water heater, this means making a choice between the multiple options available. The information available estimates that the production of hot water can account for as much as 30% of a home’s energy use. Not so many decades ago the choice was simple-electric or gas. Today’s technology has provided us with far more options to choose from in hot water heaters. Among these options are tankless water heaters in Fort Worth.
A traditional tank water heater continuously heats water, whether it is being used or not. Water in the tank, when not used, is heated repeatedly just to keep it at the set temperature. In comparison, tankless water heaters only heat water when there is demand for it. This eliminates heating and reheating water stored in tanks, resulting in less cost for hot water, as well as the tankless water heater provides a compact design requiring less space. Other popular options for the production of hot water, or to assist in reducing the cost of hot water are solar hot water heaters, desupersaturators used in conjunction with a geothermal heat pump.
When you are considering tankless water heaters in Fort Worth the following will assist you in making an informed choice.
- Choose the Correct Size: The first choice you must make is between a single room provision of a tankless water heater, also called a point of demand, or a whole house system. Count the number of appliances and water fixtures that need hot water, this will help to determine which system is best for you. A point of demand tankless water heater is a great option for bathrooms too far away from the main source, for hot tubs, pools and cabanas or any location simply too far from the main hot water source.
- Select the Energy Source: Tankless hot water heaters are available in electric or gas models. It is important to not if you are considering electric, electric models are not as efficient as gas and are not Energy Star approved and will not be eligible for a tax credit as a result.
- Calculating Demand: Running the dishwasher while someone is showering for example, will require a larger gallons-per-minute (GPM) rate in order to meet your overall hot water needs from a tankless water heater in Fort Worth.
- Water Supply Temperature: The temperature of the cold water supplied to the tankless water heater will affect rate and flow. If your tankless is supplied by a very cold artesian well for example, it will take much longer to achieve hot water. If on the other hand you use a solar heated pretank for example, your tankless water heater will operate much more efficiently.
- Energy Tax Credits: Many utility companies offer credits, and you may be eligible for a federal or state tax credit on Energy Star approved models as well. These can assist you in recouping the cost of a tankless water heater in Fort Worth much more quickly.
- Tankless Provides a Return on Your Investment: In most cases, a tankless water heater will cost you more upfront—between $900 to $1,200 (plus installation)—compared to traditional tank water heaters at $450 to $750 (plus installation).
Compare the cost of a tankless unit with your household’s ongoing operating costs. According to the U.S. Department of Energy tankless water heaters can be 24 to 34 percent more efficient than a traditional tank-style water heater, depending on a home’s daily demand for hot water. A tankless water heater isn’t for everyone or every household. When demand is higher than today’s tankless can currently provide it may be a better option to stay with a tank model or other option.
With all of the factors involved in the selection of a tankless water heater in Fort Worth, your best source of information regarding your individual households needs being met with a tankless water heater is best determined by a qualified licensed plumber. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Fort Worth’s experienced professionals will be happy to evaluate your home for the criteria required to obtain the best efficiency, as well as satisfaction with the use of a tankless water heater in Fort Worth. Give us a call, we will be glad to help you.