Signs it May be Time to Replace the Garbage Disposal
When the garbage disposal is experiencing an increasing number of problems, you may be wondering whether to call a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Fort Worth for repair or garbage disposal replacement. When the disposal displays any of the following signs, it may indicate it is time for a replacement.
- Frequent jamming: Any disposal can experience an occasional clog when it is overloaded or someone places material in it that is not allowed. However, if the disposal clogs often even with normal, and acceptable use, it may be time to contact a plumber in Fort Worth for a new disposal. Reminders for the proper use of the disposal include only disposing of approved food items, feeding small pieces of food into the unit slowly, and always running cold water during and after use, turning the water on prior to the disposal.
- Frequent resets required: It is common to need to press the reset button on the disposal after clogs or heavy use. However, if resetting the unit is required frequently, the motor may be near failure.
- The disposal leaks: While a number of leaks can be repaired by tightening connections or replacing O-rings, other leaks may be expensive to repair. It may cost less to contact a plumber in Fort Worth to replace the disposal rather than to repair it.
- When planning to install a new dishwasher or sink: If you are replacing a kitchen sink or dishwasher, and the disposal is over 10 years old, it may be best to replace it while a professional plumber in Fort Worth is on site rather than waiting until it fails.
Garbage Disposal Installation
If you have never had a disposal before, you will need to decide which type to purchase. Disposals are available in continuous feed and batch feed types.
Continuous feed disposals are the most common choice and easiest to use. They are the open mouth disposals that turn on and off with a wall switch. The food is dropped into the disposal with the water running, and turned on.
Batch feed disposals require the food waste to be placed into the hopper, and close the lid to activate the grinder. It is the safest, though more costly alternative for those prone to placing their hands or fingers into the disposal.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips:
- Keep the garbage disposal Occasionally run cold water and dish soap inside and let the garbage disposal run for a minute.
- Operate the garbage disposal on a regular basis to prevent rust and corrosion and keep obstructions from accumulating.
- Run a steady flow of cold water when grinding food in the disposal.
- Grind citrus fruit peelings such as lemon, lime and orange peels for assistance in cleaning the disposal and a fresh scent. Freeze vinegar into ice cubes and grind them in the disposal to clean, deodorize and kill bacteria.
- Cut up large pieces of food into small pieces to prevent damage and jams to the disposal. Only place a few pieces in the unit at one time.
- Non food materials such as paper, meat trays, metal, plastic or glass should not be put into the disposal. Damage is likely to occur requiring the service of a plumber in Fort Worth.
- Grease, oil, and fats can damage the disposal and clog the pipes. Allow it to cool down and place in a sealed container, and in the trash.
- Don’t grind anything fibrous such as celery stalks, corn husks, onion skins, greens and artichokes. The fibers can cause jams and potentially cause damage and the need for garbage disposal repair or replacement of the disposal by a plumber in Fort Worth .
- Keep the water running the entire time the disposal is in use. Make sure to turn the water on before starting the disposal and turn off the disposal prior to turning off the water.
- Avoid putting pasta and rice down the disposal. These food items can cause clogs.
- To avoid damage don’t place bones, fruit pits or other hard items into the disposal.
- Don’t place coffee grounds in the disposal, as it can cause drain clogs.
- Do not put harsh chemicals such as bleach or drain cleaners in the disposal to avoid damage to blades and pipes.
- Never put your hand or fingers in the disposal while it is running.
A Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Fort Worth can provide garbage disposal replacement, garbage disposal repair, and install a new garbage disposal for you. To learn more about the broad range of plumbing services we offer, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing. We serve Fort Worth, Arlington, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.