Gas Line Leak Repair Fort Worth
Gas Leaks | Gas Line Repair Fort Worth
Natural gas is an efficient fuel that is widely used across the U. S. for heating, providing hot water and cooking our family’s meals. Natural gas is a relatively safe energy source when installed by a professional, gas certified plumber. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing provides experienced plumbers who are certified gas specialists for gas line installation, inspection and gas line repair in Fort Worth , Arlington and the surrounding areas.
Unfortunately, there are potential hazards associated with gas lines and gas appliances. This is due to the flammable and explosive nature of natural gas. Thankfully, problems related to natural gas are very rare. When a gas leak does occur the dangers related to it are as follows:
- Asphyxiation due to gas leaks – Natural gas can quickly fill a space, displacing oxygen and causing asphyxia (the inability to breathe). When gas leaks are present, gas line repair in Fort Worth should be promptly provided.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning – You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide. This gas will replace oxygen cells in our blood, preventing life giving oxygen from reaching tissues and organs, including the brain, with dire consequences. Any appliance that burns a fossil fuel has the potential to leak deadly carbon monoxide into our homes. This is why it is important to have your gas lines professionally inspected each year, including the vents, flues and chimneys associated with them and to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
- Explosion – Gas line leaks inside or outside of the home can be very dangerous. Gas in its natural state lacks any odor. This is why a scent is added to gas, producing the sulfuric odor of rotten eggs to make a leak more noticeable. Explosion may occur in the presence of a leak. Any spark, such as an appliance cutting on, contact with flame or any other source that may create a spark can ignite a gas leak.
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms may include:
- Loss of Consciousness
- Blurred Vision
- Shortness of Breath
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Chest pain
If you or a family member experiences any of these symptoms, evacuate the home immediately and call 911. If you routinely have a headache at home, which goes away when you leave home, it may be a symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning. Have a professional provide an inspection.
The following tips will reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as the potential for a natural gas explosion:
- Don’t place your family at risk. Only licensed plumbing professionals should be used to provide gas line installation, inspection and gas line repair in Fort Worth.
- Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed in your home, near the bedrooms with at least one on each floor. Check the battery often.
- Have gas lines professionally inspected annually to ensure their safety. This inspection should include vents, flues, and chimneys of all gas appliances and fireplaces to ensure the proper exhaust of gases to prevent the dangerous accumulation of carbon monoxide in the home.
- Don’t sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater that lacks adequate ventilation. Never use gas operated heaters, stoves or barbecue grills intended for outdoor use inside of your home.
- Call your utility providers well in advance of any outdoor work requiring digging. They will mark the location of all utilities for free, including gas lines. Natural gas leaks rarely occur, but when they do they can rapidly become dangerous.
- If you detect the odor of rotten eggs, evacuate the home immediately, call 911 and contact your gas provider. Don’t use a phone in your home when a gas leak is present. Use a neighbor’s phone, or move to a safe distance away from the home and the odor of gas to use a cell phone.
- Don’t delay gas line repair in Fort Worth when you have a leak. Gas leaks can be very dangerous and require prompt attention by a qualified professional.
- Gas leaks can occur outside of the home in gas lines or meters. You may notice the odor of gas outside. Watch for unseasonable dying of plants or grass near the gas line or meter, which may indicate a gas leak. Contact your gas provider or a professional for gas line repair in Fort Worth promptly.
- Gas stoves don’t ventilate to the outside, resulting in carbon monoxide being released into the home as you cook. Always use the vent hood fan when a gas stove is in use. Don’t use a gas oven for heating in the home. It can result in damage to the oven and cause carbon monoxide to accumulate in the home.
- Don’t attempt to locate a gas leak. Leave it to the professionals to provide gas line repair in Fort Worth.
- Don’t turn on or off any electrical appliances including light switches. Evacuate all occupants from the home immediately.
- Don’t smoke or use any open flames.
- If you damage a natural gas line when digging outside, call your gas provider or a professional for gas line repair in Fort Worth immediately. Don’t attempt to repair the gas line yourself.
Call for a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing professional to provide plumbing services, gas line installation, inspection and gas line repair in Fort Worth for gas leaks. Our professional plumbers provide exceptional service in Fort Worth, Arlington and surrounding areas. All repairs are backed with our 100% satisfaction guarantee.