Sump Pump Services | Plumber Arlington
Moisture buildup is very harmful to your home’s structural integrity, and your family’s health. A sump pump will ensure flooding doesn’t occur in the basement, and is essential to the integrity and lifespan of a home, and will ensure mold and mildew won’t threaten the health of your family. To protect your home from the potential devastating effects of flooding, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington for sump pump services.
The Benefits of a Sump Pump
- Keeps the basement dry and free of mold and mildew
- Protects the structure and foundation of the home
- Keeps finished basements and appliances safe from moisture damage
Types of Sump Pumps
While there is a variety of sump pumps, the most commonly purchased are the pedestal and submersible models, and the battery back-up pump. Sump pumps activate when the water level reaches a specific point, but utilizing a float valve.
The pedestal sump pump sits upright above the pit with its motor out of the water. The submersible sump pump is submerged by the water in the pit, and has a waterproof motor. This model is recommended for finished basements as the sump pit is covered with a lid, reducing the likelihood of someone falling due to an open pit, and reducing noise.
The battery back-up sump pump turns on when a power outage occurs, or the primary pump fails to run. Like the main pump, when the water reaches a specific level, the backup sump pump will activate and pump water away from the home. While it acts as an emergency back-up to the primary pump, it provides the additional benefit of assisting the primary pump when excessively heavy flooding occurs and overwhelms the primary pump’s ability to remove amounts exceeding its capacity to pump. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington can determine if you need to upgrade the primary pump, add a back-up or both.
Sump Pump Repair and Maintenance
Mechanical devices require maintenance and the sump pump protecting your home is no exception. Maintenance provided by the homeowner should include:
- Clean the pump inlet screen every three months to prevent strain the motor and reducing its lifespan.
- Ensure sump pump operation by pouring adequate water into the pit to raise the float and trigger the pump to run. If your pump fails to run ensure it is plugged in, and the circuit breaker is on. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington can provide reliable sump pump repair when it fails to operate.
- The pump and basin should be cleaned annually and the sump pump examined. Debris can clog or damage the pump. Overall, a pump made of cast iron will last longer than a plastic pump. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington
Causes of Basement Flooding
Some causes of flooding can be prevented. The following are contributing causes of flooding:
The grading of the soil around the home and foundation requires an adequate slope away from the home. Homes with the disadvantage of being located in a low lying area, or at the bottom of a hill will require other means of diverting water run-off, such as a French drain, for example.
Routinely inspect the soil surrounding the home’s foundation for soil erosion. Erosion can cause low spots and result in basement flooding.
Gutters and Downspouts
Gutters capture rain from the roof and deliver it through downspouts to the ground. A downspout diverter will direct water from the downspout away from the foundation. Otherwise, the downspout should terminate onto a hard surface such as a splash guard or other hard surface that slopes away from the home.
Other Steps to Prevent Basement Flooding
Sump pumps prevent water build-up in the basement. Other preventative measures for basement flooding include:
- Contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington for the installation of a backflow valve to storm and sewer systems. Storms can overload the systems and result in flooding in low lying areas. If this includes your home, a backflow valve will prevent it from entering into your home.
- Keep gutters and downspouts free of debris and replace damaged downspouts
- Ensure downspouts drain onto splash guards or water is carried away by a diverter.
- Seal a leaky basement.
- Schedule a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington for the repair of leaky pipes in the basement, and around the foundation
For sump pump installation, sump pump services, or sump pump repair, call a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Arlington. We serve Arlington, Fort Worth and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.