If your garbage disposal is experiencing an increasing number of problems, you might consider calling a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber for repair. However, when the disposal displays any of the following signs; it may indicate it is time for a replacement.
- Frequent jamming: Any disposal can experience an occasional clog when it is overloaded or someone places material in it that is not allowed. However, if the disposal clogs often even with normal, and acceptable use, it may be time to contact a plumber in Fort Worth for a new disposal. Reminders for the proper use of the disposal include only disposing of approved food items, feeding small pieces of food into the unit slowly, and always running cold water during and after use, turning the water on prior to the disposal.
- Frequent resets required: It is common to need to press the reset button on the disposal after clogs or heavy use. However, if resetting the unit is required frequently, the motor may be near failure.
- The disposal leaks: While a number of leaks can be repaired by tightening connections or replacing O-rings, other leaks may be expensive to repair. It may cost less to contact a plumber in Fort Worth to replace the disposal rather than to repair it.
- When planning to install a new dishwasher or sink: If you are replacing a kitchen sink or dishwasher, and the disposal is over 10 years old, it may be best to replace it while professional plumbers in Fort Worth, Texas are on site rather than waiting until it fails.
Garbage Disposal Installation
If you have never had a disposal before, you will need to decide which type to purchase. Disposals are available in continuous feed and batch feed types.
Continuous feed disposals are the most common choice and easiest to use. They are the open mouth disposals that turn on and off with a wall switch. The food is dropped into the disposal with the water running, and turned on.
Batch feed disposals require the food waste to be placed into the hopper, and close the lid to activate the grinder. It is the safest, though more costly alternative for those prone to placing their hands or fingers into the disposal.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips:
- Occasionally run cold water and dish soap inside and let the garbage disposal run for a minute.
- Operate the garbage disposal on a regular basis to prevent rust and corrosion and keep obstructions from accumulating.
- Run a steady flow of cold water when grinding food in the disposal.
- Grind citrus fruit peelings such as lemon, lime and orange peels for assistance in cleaning the disposal and a fresh scent. Freeze vinegar into ice cubes and grind them in the disposal to clean, deodorize and kill bacteria.
- Cut up large pieces of food into small pieces to prevent damage and jams to the disposal. Only place a few pieces in the unit at one time.
- Non food materials such as paper, meat trays, metal, plastic or glass should not be put into the disposal. Damage is likely to occur requiring the service of plumbers in Fort Worth, Texas.
- Grease, oil, and fats can damage the disposal and clog the pipes. Allow it to cool down and place in a sealed container, and in the trash.
- Don’t grind anything fibrous such as celery stalks, corn husks, onion skins, greens and artichokes. The fibers can cause jams and potentially cause damage and the need for repair or replacement of the disposal by plumbers in Fort Worth, Texas.
- Keep the water running the entire time the disposal is in use. Make sure to turn the water on before starting the disposal and turn off the disposal prior to turning off the water.
- Avoid putting pasta and rice down the disposal. These food items can cause clogs.
- To avoid damage don’t place bones, fruit pits or other hard items into the disposal.
- Don’t place coffee grounds in the disposal, as it can cause drain clogs.
- Do not put harsh chemicals such as bleach or drain cleaners in the disposal to avoid damage to blades and pipes.
- Never put your hand or fingers in the disposal while it is running.
About Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Arlington, Texas
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Arlington, TX has professional plumbers in Fort Worth, Texas servicing Fort Worth and surrounding areas. Our experienced, courteous and friendly plumbers provide on time plumbing related services to not only Arlington but surrounding areas also. If you are in need of a professional plumber that you can count on for plumbing repairs, maintenance and / or installation then you can count on us at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Arlington, Texas.
Ben Franklin Plumbing is a leader in the field for plumbing related repairs. We are also one of the most trusted plumbing service brands in the industry with high standards of service that you can rely on. When you contact us you can rest assured knowing that you are receiving the best plumbers in Fort Worth, Texas. Our commitment to service and excellence is reflected in our stone solid A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. If you have a plumbing related problem in your home or business and you need help, do not hesitate to contact us today. Our professional, courteous and friendly plumbers in Fort Worth, Texas will be more than happy to assist you and answer any of your questions and schedule an appointment with you to assess the plumbing related problem and resolve it at your earliest convenience. Give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Arlington, Texas a call today if you are looking for professional plumbers in Fort Worth, Texas. If there’s any delay, it’s you we pay®