Photo By LanaStock at istock
Every system in your Mansfield, TX home is designed to make you more comfortable and make your life more convenient. The electrical system provides electricity to your home to power the lights, appliances, and other devices. Your HVAC system provides heat during the winter and air conditioning during the summer. Your plumbing system provides clean, clear water to the home and removes water and waste from your home. Each of these systems is essential to your daily life.
Have you ever thought about how many times a day you use your plumbing system? If you really think about it, you will see that your plumbing system is in use for a large portion of the day. Every time you turn on the water, your plumbing system is in use. The same is true when you flush the toilet and use a water-based appliance. Finally, your water heater runs all day to keep the water in the tank hot.
Because you rely on your plumbing system all day long, the last thing you want is for a problem to arise that makes it difficult or impossible for your plumbing system to do its job correctly. Unfortunately, problems do arise, and when they do, DIY repairs are a bad idea.
The best way to ensure the problem will be fixed correctly without further complications is to hire a licensed plumber.
If the plumbing system in your home is experiencing any of the following issues, it is best to call a plumbing service as soon as possible.
Leaks are one of the most common calls a plumbing service receives. Some leaks are very obvious, such as a leak in the pipes under the kitchen or bathroom, where standing water will be present when you open the cabinet door. Some leaks are less obvious, such as leaking pipes behind the walls, above the ceiling, and under the ground. These leaks can leave water spots on the walls or ceilings. The other signs of a hidden leak include reduced water pressure and water bills that are higher than usual due to wasted water.
If you suspect there is a leak in your plumbing system, it is best to call a plumbing company. Owning a wrench and watching a YouTube video doesn’t qualify you to make the repair yourself. You will need a licensed plumber to find the source of the leak and make the necessary repair. A plumber can use a drain camera and acoustic devices to pinpoint the leak’s location, which is the fastest and easiest way to resolve the issue.
It is essential that you call a plumbing service as soon as you suspect there is a leak. The longer you wait to make the call, the more water damage can occur, and the risk of mold growth increases. Having the issue resolved quickly will protect your home, family and will keep your water bills down.
#2 Drain Clogs
Drain clogs are another one of the more common calls a plumbing service receives. You can be very cautious with what goes down the drains in your Mansfield, TX home; however, it is impossible to prevent grease and food from going down the drain while doing the dishes and for hair and soap to go down the drain when you shower. Over time, the food, grease, hair, and soap can cause a clog in the drain. Small and large clogs will affect your plumbing system differently, and it is best to hire a plumber to handle either type.
- Small clogs: The water will still drain if there is a small clog; however, the water will drain slowly. This can be frustrating because your sinks will start to fill up when the water is running, and it can take a few minutes for all the water to drain. If there is a clog in the tub drain, you will find yourself standing in several inches of water by the time you finish showering. If you don’t call a plumbing service right away, the clog can continue to grow and escalate to a large clog.
- Large clogs: Large clogs in the drain can prevent the water from going down the drain at all. When a large clog forms, the sink and tub will fill with water, and it won’t go down. If the water does go down, it is not uncommon to hear a gurgling sound. A large clog in the drain will cause the water to change directions to find a way through the drain pipe. This change in direction creates air in the pipes, causing a gurgling sound.
If either size clog remains in a drain pipe for too long, it can cause the pipes to corrode, causing the pipe to leak. Clog removal should not be a DIY job. Liquid drain cleaners may temporarily help the water go down the drain, but if the entire clog isn’t removed, it will escalate to a large clog again. In addition, if there is a large clog in the drain preventing the water from going down, a liquid drain cleaner will be useless; therefore, you will need to call a plumber.
A plumbing service can use a drain camera to determine the size and location of the clog. This information will help them choose the most effective method to remove the clog.
#3 Water Heater Issues
The water heater in your Mansfield, TX home is technically an appliance; however, it is an essential part of your plumbing system. The water heater stores hot water in the tank, so hot water will be available when you need it.
If your water heater isn’t functioning properly, you may not have hot water to perform daily tasks. In addition, without hot water, your washing machine and dishwasher won’t function at peak performance.
If your water heater is experiencing any of the following issues, it is best to call a plumbing service right away.
- You have no hot water: This could be due to a faulty heating element, an electrical issue, or a fuel issue.
- The water isn’t getting hot enough: This could be due to a faulty heating element or a thermostat issue.
- You run out of hot water frequently: Your water heater could be too small for your family’s hot water demand. It could also be due to limited space in the water tank due to sediment build-up.
- The water is discolored: Sediment in the tank could be breaking apart and contaminating the water. If your water heater is over ten years old, the inside could be breaking down, requiring a water heater replacement.
- Strange sounds: Banging or popping sounds can be caused by a large build-up of sediment.
- Moisture or water: A hose could be broken or loose, or the water heater could be leaking.
- Poor hot water pressure: Sludge from the bottom of the water tank could be clogging the waterline.
Water heater repairs can be complicated, and it is best to call a plumbing service to make the necessary repair.
#4 Toilet Issues
Toilet issues can be very frustrating, especially if the issue makes it impossible to use the toilet. There are two common toilet issues that will require a call to a plumber.
- Toilet clogs: Toilet clogs occur when too much waste and toilet paper are flushed down the drain. They can also occur if something is flushed that shouldn’t have been. In many cases, a plunger will help break up the clog enough for it to get through the drain pipe. If the clog is too long or is located too far down the drainpipe, a plunger will be useless, and you will need to call a plumbing service. A plumber can remove the entire clog safely, so you can start using the toilet again.
- Running toilet: The toilet in your Mansfield, TX home is designed to run right after flushing until the tank is full, so you are ready for the next flush. If the toilet continues to run after the tank is full, you should call a plumbing service. A few issues can cause a toilet to run, such as a damaged flapper, the float height needs to be adjusted, the refill tube is too long, the seal is failing, or the toilet has reached the end of its lifespan and needs to be replaced.
It is easy to ignore a running toilet, but you shouldn’t. A running toilet can waste a tremendous amount of water and can increase your water bill by up to $60 a day. A plumber can repair the toilet, preventing you from receiving a water bill that you cannot afford.
Toilet issues are frustrating, especially if you have only one bathroom in your home; therefore, you should call a plumber right away.
#5 Reduced Water Pressure
Adequate water pressure is essential to your daily life. If the water pressure in your Mansfield, TX home is suddenly poor, simple tasks like rinsing a dirty dish and washing your hair will take longer than necessary. In addition, your water-based appliances won’t function at peak performance without adequate water pressure.
If just the hot water pressure is poor, your water heater is to blame. If the hot and cold water pressure is poor, the plumbing system is to blame.
- Just one tap: Poor water pressure from just one tap could signify an issue with the aerator or the faucet’s mechanics. There could also be a leak in the waterline leading to the fixture, which would require a call to an emergency plumbing service. The leak can cause water damage behind the wall and mold growth; therefore, you should call a plumber immediately.
- Every tap: If the water pressure is poor throughout your home, there could be a clog in the pipe that delivers the water to your home. There could also be an issue with the water main or the valve, and these issues shouldn’t be a DIY repair, and you should call a plumber.
Because poor water pressure can cause so many issues in your home, calling a plumbing service right away is best.
#6 Appliance Installation
If you recently purchased a water-based appliance, such as a dishwasher, washing machine, refrigerator with an ice maker and water dispenser, or garbage disposal, it is best to have it installed by a plumbing service.
Some homeowners will try to install the appliance themselves in hopes of saving money. Appliances today are very expensive, and some people would rather avoid the cost of having a professional install the appliance. If you don’t have the necessary training, a DIY installation can damage the appliance or cause a flood in your home. In addition, if your appliance is under warranty, a DIY installation will void the warranty, and you will have to pay for future repairs yourself.
A plumber will send a licensed plumber to your home with the necessary tools to install the appliance correctly, and your warranty will remain valid.
#7 Frozen Pipes
Winters in Mansfield, TX are relatively mild; therefore, many homeowners don’t wrap their pipes in heated tape during the winter. When a cold front rolls in, it is not uncommon for the temperature to drop below freezing, which can cause the pipes to freeze. In addition, a cold snap can cause the temperature to drop below freezing in just a few hours, which can cause the pipes to freeze.
If you turn on the water on a very cold night and nothing comes out, you should call a plumbing service immediately.
Frozen pipes are considered an emergency because when the water in the pipes freezes, it expands and causes the pipes to burst, which can flood your home. A plumber can thaw the pipes quickly and safely, which will prevent the pipes from bursting.
Why Choose Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth?
If you have issues with the plumbing system in your Mansfield, TX home and want to work with the best plumbing company in the area, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth.
We are a family-owned and operated plumbing service that has been serving the community for many years.
We provide various plumbing services, including:
- Residential and commercial plumbing service and repair
- Leak detection
- Water heater installation, maintenance, and repair
- Water filtration system installation in residential homes and commercial facilities
Our plumbers are professionally trained, highly skilled, licensed, and insured. When you schedule an appointment for plumbing service, we guarantee the plumber will be on time. Unlike many other plumbing companies in the area, we don’t expect our customers to wait around for the plumber for hours. We schedule our appointments with shorter time frames than most companies.
To schedule an appointment for any plumbing service we provide, give us a call today.