Garbage disposal services provided by Benjamin Franklin Plumbing include repair and installation. A garbage disposal is a convenient appliance for the kitchen. It grinds up food remnants that are washed down the drain, and into the sewer system. Our licensed plumbers in Arlington, Texas install and repair all makes of garbage disposals from residential models to heavy commercial foodservice disposals.
Clogged drains are a common reason for calling for service from the plumbers in Arlington, Texas. Furthermore, the improper use of a garbage disposal is a frequent cause of kitchen clogs.
Garbage Disposal Repair
Common reasons for garbage disposal repair are jamming of the device, leakage of the hoses and seals, or a worn or damaged impeller. Common causes of these issues are due to improper use, and placing items in it that should not be. These items are commonly grease, food not cut into small pieces, hard items that damage the blades such as fruit pits, bone, and silverware, and fibrous foods such as greens, celery, potato peels, corn husks and others. When the problem is a jam, you may be able to repair the disposal yourself. However, contact a qualified professional plumber for the repair of other problems.
Occasionally, when the disposal will not start, pressing the reset button located on the bottom of most units will correct the issue. Once reset, and if the disposal will not operate, check the disposal’s circuit breaker in the home’s electrical service panel, and push to ON if tripped. However, if this is a recurring problem, contact Benjamin Franklin plumbers in Arlington, Texas for repair.
Garbage Disposal Installation
Our plumbers in Arlington, Texas offer professional garbage disposal installation, and prompt, dependable service.
Garbage Disposal Use and Care
A common mistake in the use of a garbage disposal is not turning the cold water on before starting the disposal. The cold water performs two functions, cooling the appliance to prevent damage from overheating, and flushing the appliance and the drain. Other tips for proper disposal usage include:
- Allow cold water to run for at least 20 seconds after completing the disposal of food. Continuing to run water enables food debris to be flushed from the disposal and the drain. This assists in preventing drain clogs in your Kitchen plumbing in Arlington.
- Never pour fats, oil, or grease (FOG) into the disposal or drain. Doing so will eventually result in a grease clog of the drain, and potentially the sewer pipe. Once they cool place in a sealed container and dispose of in the trash or take to a recycle center.
- Cut food into small pieces and feed in one piece at a time. If the amount of food is substantial, place in a sealable bag and dispose of in the trash. Overloading the disposal with any food can result in a jam and/or potential damage.
- Avoid placing fibrous foods in the disposal. Examples of fibrous foods include celery, onionskins, artichokes, rhubarb, greens, cornhusks, banana and potato peels. Fibrous foods can wrap around the disposal blades causing a jam, and will cause severe clogging of the drain.
- Never drop rice, pasta, or bread into the disposal. These products absorb water and expand, creating a starchy substance that can clog drains.
- To avoid damage to the disposal, do not place hard items such as fruit pits, bone, nut or freshwater/seafood shells into the appliance.
- To avoid damage to the unit, place paper, plastic, wood, metal, styrofoam, and glass in the trash.
- Dispose of egg shells in the trash or compost. The inner membrane of the eggs can wrap around components in the disposal causing problems.
- Coffee grounds will not hurt the disposal, but will clog a drain.
- Periodically pour dish liquid into the disposal. Turn on the water, and then the disposal for a fresher clean.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumbers in Arlington, Texas offer expertise for your plumbing needs. Contact us for the garbage disposal services of repair or installation. Our plumbers in Arlington, Texas serve Arlington, Fort Worth, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.