Garbage Disposals | Plumber in Fort Worth TX
Garbage disposals are a handy convenience, but as with any other mechanical device they may experience problems. Unfortunately, most problems with the small appliance is related to misuse. Be cautious of the disposals use, especially during a family get together when the majority of problems occur with the device. If you need garbage disposal repair, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth.
It’s unfortunate that the appliance is typically called a ‘garbage disposal’, as the name leads to many people placing items in the unit that shouldn’t be. The disposal is designed for small amounts of specific food waste. Placing unapproved items in the disposal often results in a jam or damage to the appliance, and the need for repair by a plumber in Fort Worth.
A common problem is the clogging of the drain after food has been ground-up and flushed through the drain line. Clogging can be related to failing to allow the water to run long enough after using the appliance. Always allow it to run at least 20 seconds.
In addition, rice and pasta are foods you should never place in a disposal as it will expand as it absorbs water and can cause a clogged drain.. If the disposal is running and water won’t drain, the drain is most likely clogged. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth for drain cleaning.
The following tips can assist you with problems your disposal may experience. Remember the foremost rule for using a garbage disposal – never place your hand or fingers into the unit, even if it’s unplugged. If you are uncomfortable with any procedure, contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth.
Garbage Disposal Jam
- First, unplug the garbage disposal. If it’s hardwired into the home’s electrical system, shut off the breaker serving the unit in the home’s electrical panel. If you’re not certain of the correct breaker, contact a plumber in Fort Worth.
- Shine a flashlight down into the disposal to check for anything that could be causing the jam. Potential causes are fibrous foods such as greens, artichoke, banana peels, potato skins, onion skins, celery, silverware, bone a large piece of food or other items that may have fallen or been placed in it. If you are unable to retrieve it, help is just a phone call away. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth.
- If you can see the item jamming the disposal, use a slender tong or long needle nose pliers to remove it. Some disposals, typically commercial grade models, have a blade reversal feature to ease removing a jam. Allow the disposal motor to cool down for approximately 10-15 minutes or as instructed in your owners manual before turning it on.
- Plug the disposal back up, or turn the breaker back on and push the reset button located on the bottom or the side of the disposal. If the disposal is still jammed, unplug the power cord or turn off the breaker in the breaker box. Go to the next step.
- Some garbage disposals are supplied with an S-shaped or L-shaped hex tool for freeing jams. Insert it into the same shaped opening directly on the bottom of the disposal. Move it back and forth until you are able to free the blade and it moves freely.
Once the blades spin freely, allow the motor to cool and push the reset button, turn the power on, the water, and turn the disposal on. In addition, any time you use the disposal, run only cold water.
If your garbage disposal won’t run at this point, it’s time to contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth for garbage disposal repair.
Tips for Garbage Disposal Care
The inside of a garbage disposal can quickly become soiled and smelly with sludge and debris. There are several ways to clean the disposal:
- This method should be used routinely with other cleaning methods. Plug the drain and fill the sink with hot water , then allow it to drain. This also helps to flush the drain. Remember to to allow the water to run for at least 20 seconds after using the disposal to rinse the blades and flush the ground up food on down the drain to prevent a clog.
- Pour some dishwashing liquid into the disposal, turn the cold water on and the disposal.
- Freeze white vinegar in ice trays and drop one or two in the disposal. Turn the cold water on and next the disposal. Vinegar kills bacteria, cleans the impeller and deodorizes.
- Sprinkle about ½ cup of baking soda down the garbage disposal. Follow with ½ cup of white vinegar and allow to foam for about 15 minutes. Add more vinegar and again wait for 15 minutes. Turn on the cold water, then the disposal and allow to run for about a minute.
- Turn on the cold water, the disposal and drop small cut up pieces of rind from lemons, oranges or limes help clean the blades and impart a clean fresh scent to the sink. Allow the water to run for at least 20 seconds after grinding is complete. You can also freeze lemon juice in an ice tray and drop one or two into the disposal with cold water running and the disposal on for a quick fresh scent.
- Check the disposal’s owner’s manual for instructions specific to your unit. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth for garbage disposal services or other plumbing needs.
If you need garbage disposal repair, installation or other plumbing services, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing today. You can rely on a Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth to meet and/or exceed the industry standards. Our licensed plumbers ensure you receive the highest quality of plumbing services available. When you need a professional installation or reliable plumbing repair, a Benjamin Franklin professional plumber is available to assist you. We serve Fort Worth, Arlington and the surrounding areas. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.