It’s spring once again, and time for your home’s spring checkup, including its plumbing in Fort Worth. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing offers the following plumbing tips to ensure your home’s plumbing is functioning properly, and to detect the need for plumbing repair.
Kitchen and Bathrooms
- Check for faucet leaks, and remember the washing machine faucets. Contact a plumber for faucet repair.
- Use drain strainers to prevent debris from clogging the drains.
- Test toilets for leaks, by adding food coloring to the tank. If the toilet flap is leaking, color will appear in the bowl.
- Inspect tank and bowl for cracks or leaks. Don’t discount hairline cracks, they can enlarge unexpectedly. Replace damaged toilets.
- Exercise the shut off valves under sinks and toilets to prevent them from malfunctioning when you need to turn the water off. If you need a replacement, or other repairs to your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing.
- If the toilet isn’t flushing properly, such as the need to jiggle the handle to stop water from running, or if holding the handle down for a proper flush is necessary, contact our plumbers in Fort Worth for replacement of worn parts.
- Check the showerhead, and if cleaning is required due to mineral buildup, unscrew the showerhead and soak in white vinegar. Gently scrub remaining residue with a soft toothbrush dipped in vinegar. Test in an inconspicuous are first, to ensure the vinegar won’t damage the finish.
- Inspect underneath sinks for signs of water or drain leaks.
- Check the temperature setting on the water heater, ensure it is set at 120°F, to prevent scalding and reduce energy use.
- Flush the water heater of hard water sediment. Use a garden hose connected to the drain valve at the bottom of the tank. Place the other end outside, and ensure it will not drain on pets, people, plants, or electrical products. Allow the tank to drain until the water runs clear. Afterwards, flush 2 to 3 quarts every 2 to 3 months to prevent sediment buildup.
- Inspect the water heater for signs of rust and leaks on the exterior. Rust can indicate the appliance has rusted through from the inside out. Replacement is the only solution for a rusting, or leaking tank. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth can provide the water heater replacement you need. Our plumbers offer a wide variety of services for your plumbing in Fort Worth. Contact us today to schedule plumbing services.
- Inspect the dishwasher, washer, and icemaker water supply hoses for bulges, dry rotting, cracks, wear, or leaks. Replace worn or damaged hoses showing signs of deterioration or those older than ten years. Replace with stainless steel hoses for greater reliability.
- Inspect drains for signs of wear or leaking when possible.
- If the basement has a sump pump, test its operation by pouring a bucket of water into the sump pit. The pump should turn on, pump the water away, and shut off without any problems. A Benjamin Franklin plumber can provide sump pump repair and installation for you.
- If it has been a few years since drains were professionally cleaned, and drainage is beginning to slow, contact our plumbers for drain cleaning. Maintaining functional drainage will assist in preventing complete blockage or backup in your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth.
- Install flood alarms that alert you when flooding or leaks occur.
- Inspect gutters and downspouts to ensure they are open, properly attached and in good repair. Clean if necessary and repair or replace loose fasteners or damaged sections.
- Inspect plumbing vent pipes for bird nests, wasp nests or other debris. Wire over vent pipes can prevent wasps, and wildlife from clogging pipes.
- Check outdoor for leaks by placing a bucket underneath when there won’t be any rain. If water collects, you have a leak. Contact a plumber to repair outdoor plumbing in Fort
If problems are identified during your home checkup, contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber to repair your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth. You can rely on our licensed plumbers to meet or exceed the industry standards with exceptional expertise, providing you with first quality plumbing installation, maintenance, or repair. Benjamin Franklin plumbers’ serve Fort Worth, Arlington, and the surrounding areas, and is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.