Toilet Tips | Plumbing Fort Worth
Maintaining a clean toilet free of hard water buildup isn’t anyone’s favorite chore. If you are like many homeowners’, you use caustic cleaners off the store shelf. The majority of available cleaners are hazardous, especially when used in a confined space without ventilation. However, you do have the option of using safer products probably already in your kitchen or laundry room. Over time, scratches to the porcelain finish occur, and when a toilet reaches this point, cleaning is more difficult. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing can provide you with your plumbing in Fort Worth needs.
- White vinegar is a natural and effective means of cleaning and deodorizing a toilet. Just pour half a cup into the bowl, and allow soaking for 20-30 minutes, swishing some of the solution under the rim. Scrub with a toilet brush for a clean, odor free bowl.
- Borax laundry additive cleans and destroys odors. Pour a cup into the bowl, swish and allow soaking for an hour or two before scrubbing.
Vinegar or lemon juice dissolves unsightly hard water buildup in the bowl and under the rim. Plunge out all the water possible in the bowl, and pour enough vinegar into the bowl to cover hard water stains in the bottom. Use bath tissue soaked in vinegar or lemon juice, and press under the rim, allowing soaking. Scrub with a small brush, and reapply if necessary until the ugly buildup is gone.
In addition, you can use a natural pumice stone to remove any remaining residue. Scrub gently to avoid scratching the porcelain finish. While you’re cleaning with vinegar, pour about half a cup of vinegar into the round overflow pipe inside the tank. This allows the vinegar to circulate inside the rim, and jets where buildup also occurs. Do this at least once per month. If your toilet isn’t flushing properly, or frequent toilet clogs are occurring, contact Benjamin Franklin for the repair of your plumbing in Fort Worth.
Buildup can also clog the jets that provide water to flush the toilet. Poor toilet flushing may be a sign of clogged jets. A Benjamin Franklin plumber can provide the services you need for your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth.
- Check for tank leaks by placing a small amount of food coloring in the tank. Recheck in 30 minutes to an hour. If the dye appears in the bowl, the tank is leaking. Contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth for toilet repair.
- Never use your toilet as a trash can. To avoid clogging remember toilets are for toilet paper and human waste only. If you have a shelf over your toilet, keep the lid closed to prevent items from falling into the toilet, and potentially causing a clog. Our plumbers can resolve your clogged drains efficient, and effectively. Give us a call for all your plumbing in Fort Worth
- Don’t use bleach in your toilet if you have a septic tank. Bleach will kill the active bacteria that maintain a functional septic tank.
- If you’re tired of hearing a family member drop the toilet lid on the bowl, install a soft close lid to prevent the nerve-wracking clunk and prevent a broken toilet bowl.
A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth is available to provide toilet replacement, toilet repair, and a wide range of services for your plumbing in Fort Worth. Our licensed plumbers provide the expertise you can rely on for superior plumbing services. We serve Fort Worth, Arlington and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.