Garbage Disposal | Plumber Fort Worth
A garbage disposal is a handy appliance when you operate it correctly. Improper operation can result in a lot of jams and even damage to the blades or disposal requiring the services of a plumber in Fort Worth. The operation of the appliance and clearing a jam is not difficult when you know how. Utilize the following suggestions to help keep your disposal working at all times.
When you take care of the kitchen garbage disposal it functions properly and reliably. Adhering to the following steps at all times will ensure you are operating the disposal correctly and prevent annoying jams, damage of the appliance and the need for the services of a plumber in Fort Worth:
- Turn on the water before you turn on the appliance or put food into it.
- Turn on the appliance.
- Place small amounts of food into the opening. Forcing large amounts or large pieces of food into the appliance all at once can result in the blades jamming.
- Allow the appliance, and the water to run until you hear the grinding noise completely stop.
- Leave the water running 15 to 20 seconds longer to flush the remaining food particles past down the drain.
Clearing a Jam
Clearing a jam in the garbage disposal isn’t hard. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing will provide you with a plumber in Fort Worth to clear jams and repair the disposal if you are uncomfortable or unable to provide the service. Otherwise, use the following steps to clear the jam in your appliance:
- Disconnect the power from the appliance by unplugging or cutting the power off in the home’s electrical panel.
- Locate the hex-shaped notch on the bottom portion of the appliance, typically found in the center.
- Use an Allen wrench or the tool that came with the disposal if applicable.
- Insert the wrench into the hex-shaped notch and move the tool back and forth. Keep rotating the wrench until the blades move freely and the jam is cleared. High-end disposals may have a function to clear jams, as well as additional blades for fine chopping to assist in prevent jams. If jams are not cleared use slender tongs to remove material clogging the disposal. Otherwise, you will need to call for disposal service by a licensed plumber in Fort Worth.
- Once the jam is cleared reconnect power by plugging the appliance in, or switching the breaker back on.
Press the reset button
Turn on the water and then the appliance to ensure operation.
If the blades operate freely, and the appliance will not operate call a plumber in Fort Worth for repair or replacement.
Foods Not to Put in a Kitchen Disposal
There are specific types of foods and other items that should not be placed in a disposal to avoid jams, disposal damage and a clogged drain that may result in the need for service by a plumber in Fort Worth. The following is a partial list:
- Stringy, fibrous foods such as onion skins, celery stalks, fibrous greens, banana peels or other
- Hard items such as nuts and shells, popcorn kernels, or bones of any size
- Potato peelings, rice, pasta, or other starchy foods that swell
- Grease or oils
How Grease Can Clog the Disposal and Drain
Liquid grease solidifies as it cools. Grease can clump together, accumulating on interior drain walls and form a stubborn clog in the drain. Over time, the grease accumulation continues to build-up, catching other debris and forming a stubborn clog blocking the drain and preventing drainage. Once a grease clog occurs, you will require the services of a plumber in Fort Worth. Our plumbers utilize the latest technology to clear drains, and possess the only technology that successfully clears grease for a thorough clean.
Grinding up a few ice cubes or small pieces of citrus fruit peelings cleans the blades and “sharpens” them. Vinegar may be frozen in ice trays and substituted for ice cubes to provide an ultra-cleaning, deodorizing effect.
Treating Disposal and Drain Odor
Particles of food can adhere to the grooves of the appliance. An odor may occur as the food decomposes. The tips in the above Blade Care section are one means of cleaning the blades to prevent odor. An additional method is to pour baking soda down the drain with an equal amount of vinegar after the baking soda. The chemical reaction helps to loosen the build-up of odor causing grime. Rinse well once the cleaning is complete.
Our plumbers will provide service, repair or installation of your garbage disposal. In addition, we provide drain cleaning or repair of clogged and/or damaged drains. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing offers professional plumbing services for your home’s plumbing needs in Fort Worth, Arlington and the surrounding areas. Give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing a call when you require a plumber in Fort Worth. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.