Photo By Aaron Amat at Shutterstock
Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX doesn’t happen too often because natural gas lines are made to last. However, the issue is a serious one for when it does happen! For one, the gas escaping the damaged pipes contains high amounts of carbon monoxide. Secondly, such a leak can result in an explosion. Thirdly, interior gas line problems can also affect the heating and hot water systems within your home. Therefore, we recommend that you take a gas leak very seriously and take immediate action.
Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX is the job of a professional. But during an emergency – or unavailability – you may have to attempt it yourself. Before we get into all that, let us mention what the symptoms of a damaged gas line can be.
Damaged Gas Lines and Their Symptoms
You will need to do Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX if you recognize these four tell-tale signs:
- When you notice a sulfurous smell in the surroundings, it could be the sign of a gas leak. The gas we get in our homes actually doesn’t have an odor. But the utility companies add it to your gas supply, so that you can catch a leak as soon as it happens.
- You may know where the gas mains are located. If you don’t, a smart way to find out about their location – and that of any leaks – is to check for dying vegetation. Leaking gas will kill plants!
- If you have a gas leak, there is no better way of catching it than by looking at your gas bill. Compare the present amount you owe with that from the previous months. A quickly rising utility bill could indicate a gas leak.
- Another way you can tell if your gas line needs repairs is by looking at your gas appliances. Are they behaving in an odd manner? Do you hear strange noises that you didn’t before? When gas appliances are behaving oddly, it is usually because of a leak.
Steps to Take On Discovering a Gas Leak
Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX comes later. First, you have to make sure that you – and anybody else in the house – are safe. Start by letting the smell out, i.e., opening all windows. Check whether any appliances are on – gas and electric both – and switch them off. Wait a minute or two to check if the smell is dissipating. If it isn’t, leave the house immediately. Once you have put a good distance between you and the leak, call the gas line company. Let them know about the leak. Now decide whether you feel safe tackling the repair job yourself. Have doubts? Then call in the pros!
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
We mentioned that it is chiefly due to the danger the gas, carbon monoxide, poses that makes Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX so important. Carbon monoxide is a by-product that comes from using natural gas. It is potentially harmful because when inhaled, it can cause toxicity. After accidental exposure to the gas, you may notice flu-like symptoms in yourself. Along with the manifestation of two other signs, i.e., headaches and dizziness, they should be enough to indicate a carbon monoxide leak to you. And that it is time to get Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX done.
Gas Line Insurance Coverage
Before you attempt Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX, we’d suggest that you purchase a repair plan that covers those repairs. Because any natural gas lines that pass through your property are your responsibility, if they begin to leak or get damaged, you will have to bear the cost.
Usually, such policies aren’t that expensive, and for a small monthly amount, your policy will cover all the costs of repair. When you add up the amounts for a year, you’ll see that you are getting a good deal. You can depend on the licensed and experienced contractors recommended by your insurance carrier to sort out the damage. They will also provide with service calls facilities. The repairs come with a one-year-long guarantee too!
Proper Maintenance of Gas Lines
You won’t have need of Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX, if you practice proper maintenance of the pipelines. The most common reason for a leakage is because of weather-based corrosion. Experts recommend that:
- You carry out periodic inspections where you check for signs of corrosion or leaks
- Perform repairs as soon as you discover them
- Prevent a gas line issue from worsening and endangering lives
Finding the Right Expert for Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX
Thinking of hiring a trained gas line repair professional? Then choose someone who knows their trade and has the skills to do a great job the first time around. Here are some tips for careful selection:
- Ask the potential hires whether they have the license to work with natural gas lines or not. Check the license yourself and then contact Texas licensing/plumbing board to confirm if it is still active or not.
- If the professional is part of a company, do your research about how they operate as well. Your best source would be the Better Business Bureau. A good rating there means you are on the right path.
- Next, ask the company – or individual professional — for references. Talk to previous clients of theirs to find out how true their claims are.
- Don’t go for someone with a ridiculously high or low bid for your gas line repair job. Too low means they will likely compromise your safety by cutting corners. A bid too high indicates they are overcharging you and cannot be trusted anyway.
- If one is present in your area or available when you need them, do your best to hire plumber or HVAC professional specializing in gas line repair. Since they would have done this kind of work before, you can expect them to a stellar job.
Gas Line Repair in Burleson, TX may not be an easy job to undertake, but it is a necessary one. Stick to the guidelines we have included here, and you will be fine!
Contact the experts in gas line repair at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing today!