Backup Sump Pump | Plumbers Fort Worth
A backup sump pump, is an essential component of residential water damage prevention. Every home requiring a sump pump should also have a backup. Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumbers in Fort Worth for the installation of a battery backup sump pump. We can also provide a primary sump pump, and other plumbing services for your home or office.
Sump Pump Failure
Although quality primary sump pumps perform admirably when properly sized for your home’s unique needs, over time they do experience wear and can fail. Debris or mud in the sump pump can clog the water intake, or cause the float to stick. This is the reason routine cleaning of the sump pit and the pump is an essential component of routine maintenance.
In addition, the discharge line can clog or freeze, preventing the pump from being able to discharge the sump pit water outside the home.
A common problem with a sump pump is unplugging the appliance. Children and/or pets, even workers who enter the basement may inadvertently unplug the pump. Furthermore, a tripped circuit breaker could render it useless. When conditions are forecast that may cause basement flooding, ensure the sump pump is plugged in and the circuit breaker is on.
However, the most common reason homeowner’s install a backup sump pump is due to power failure. Flooding often goes along with severe thunderstorms and other inclement weather, and power outages are possible with each storm. A power outage means the sump pump is inoperable, and just when you are likely to need it most!
No homeowner wants to risk a flooded basement, and the potentially severe consequences of damage to the home, its foundation, contents, and the time-consuming task of cleaning up. A backup sump pump can prevent flooding when the power or the primary sump pump fails. Furthermore, in times of unusually heavy flooding that may overwhelm the primary pump, a backup will provide assistance.
Factors to Consider
Pump construction is a consideration when selecting a backup sump pump. Select a quality pump of cast iron construction for the longest service. Just as the primary requires proper sizing in order to perform its job efficiently, the backup pump also requires proper sizing. The backup’s pump capacity should meet or exceed the size of the primary pump. You need never worry when you use Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumbers in Fort Worth. You can always rely on the quality of services with our licensed, professional plumbers.
- Know the sound of the sump pump when it operates. A change in the sound of the motor could be a sign of a problem.
- Routinely check the sump pump and its pit, cleaning when necessary. If your pump won’t operate, contact our plumbers in Fort Worth for sump pump repair.
- Provide routine testing by pouring a bucket of water into the pit, enough to raise the float for operation. If the pump doesn’t operate, ensure it is plugged in, and check the breaker in the home’s electrical panel. Contact Benjamin Franklin plumbers in Fort Worth for sump pump repair.
Sump Pump Maintenance
The recommended maintenance schedule for a sump pump is every three months. Check the owner’s manual for complete details of the recommended maintenance and servicing:
- Clean the pump inlet screen, and the sump pit every 3 months to prevent damage to the motor from clogging debris.
- Ensure the pump is plugged in, especially when heavy rain and flooding is expected.
- Check for proper pump operation by pouring a bucket of water into the pit, enough to raise the float, and ensure it operate properly. If it doesn’t, contact Ben Franklin’s plumbers in Fort Worth.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumbers in Fort Worth can provide the professional backup sump pump installation, repair, maintenance and other plumbing services you need. We serve Fort Worth, Arlington, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.