Plumber in Arlington
Eliminate Dishwasher Odor
It seems counterintuitive that a dishwasher would get dirty. Even worse, over time a dishwasher will begin to smell, sprayer holes can clog up and mildew can develop on the seals. Once a dishwasher gets in this state, no one wants to use dishes that come out of it.
- When a dishwasher gets grimy and smelly the first thing to do is to clean it. Check the seals around the door and the float. If they need cleaning use detergent. I have found an easy clean is to use a damp soft toothbrush with a drop of dish washing liquid on it. Just gently rub a few times, and wipe down with a wet cloth and allow to air dry. Lift the float and check for dirt, a dirty float can result in elevated water levels and leakage.
- If gaskets are moldy or have mildew, brush with vinegar or lemon juice. If this doesn’t remove it use a baking soda paste which is slightly abrasive. Rinse off with clean water, and repeat with a soft toothbrush and lemon juice or vinegar, then rinse again, leaving the door open until dry. The anti-bacterial properties of the latter two should kill any illness causing fungus that rubber seals may harbor.
- Next, check the holes in the sprayer arm for blockage. Remove objects such as bits of glass with tweezers or hemostats.
- Check the filter next for obstructions or buildup that can impair draining. Odor may come from the filter due to the presence of decomposing food particulates. Scrub with a soft brush and dish washing liquid. If mineral deposits or soap scum are stubborn soak it in a vinegar water solution to remove the deposits.
- The inside of the dishwasher can be washed with a cloth using a baking soda paste. Wipe off with a wet cloth. You can run it through a cycle to remove any residue. Baking soda eliminates odors. You can also place a little baking soda inside to absorb odors and if it goes through the cycle it won’t hurt a thing.
- Vinegar is another potential cleaner for smelly dishwashers with soap scum residue. Just place a cup or two in a glass measuring cup or other heavy ceramic vessel in the top rack and run
- Commercial dishwasher cleaning products are available, use it monthly to keep your machine clean, though you will have to still clean and check the door seals, filter and float.
- Allow the dishwasher to air. Leaving the door cracked between cycles not only promotes drying and reducing mold, mildew and fungus, but allows it to air out and remain odor free.
- Use the dishwasher often. Water can evaporate out of the pump allowing the seals to dry out and leakage to occur.
- Do not use more of the recommended amount of dishwasher detergent. This can cause soap residue on dishes and leads to soap residue build up in the dishwasher.
- Tired of buying the expensive rinse aid that your dishwasher requires? Substitute it with vinegar. It disinfects, deodorizes and will eliminate detergent and mineral build-up but may not provide the spotless glasses you are use to.
- Remove paper labels from jars to keep them from clogging the filter.
- If your dishwasher has a built in garbage or hard food disposal unit clean off the larger food particles from dishes. If the dishwasher does not have a disposal, scrape off all food from the dishes.
Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Fort Worth for a prompt resolution of your plumbing problems. We guarantee your satisfaction with our services. For a plumber in Arlington, Fort Worth or the surrounding regions that you can count on to provide superior plumbing service each and every time, give us a call, we will be happy to assist you.