Clogged Garbage Disposal | Plumber Fort Worth
Garbage Disposals | Plumber Fort Worth
A garbage disposal is typically installed under the kitchen sink. The appliance shreds food waste into small pieces that pass through drain lines. While there are various types of garbage disposals available, continuous feed is the most common. This type of disposal allows food waste to be added as the disposal runs. Some high-end and commercial garbage disposals utilize an extra blade providing even finer chopped material. High-end models also offer a reversible motor to clear jams from the appliance. For garbage disposal installation, service or repair, call for the professional services of a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth.
Garbage Disposal Problems
The failure to start is a common garbage disposal problem. The failure to start is typically an electrical problem. The following steps may assist you is getting your garbage disposal to start:
- Ensure it is plugged up.
- Check the bottom for a reset button. If it is popped out push it back in.
- If the garbage disposal still won’t start check for a tripped breaker in your homes electrical service panel.
If the garbage disposal remains inoperable it will require service from a qualified plumber in Fort Worth.
Some foods can jam or even damage your garbage disposal. Place fibrous foods in the trash. Examples of fibrous foods that can damage the disposal and clog the drain are celery, artichoke leaves, banana skins, potato skins, carrot skins, cornhusk silks, cherry pits and bone.
Furthermore, never put fat, oil or grease down your disposal or any drain. Proper disposal of grease is in a leak proof container and disposed of in the trash can. Someone will eventually place something in the disposal that shouldn’t have been, or an item will be dropped into it accidentally. Remove it before a clog forms in the disposal or the drain by providing the following:
Safety is always first – turn off the circuit breaker for the disposal. Second, never put fingers in the garbage disposal for any reason!
After you are certain the power supply is off use a pair of long tongs, long needle nose pliers or a small grip tool made for small places to remove the material. Tongs won’t fit into every drain, but the small grip tool with its claw type grasper will insert into the majority of drains. Once you have succeeded in removing the material use your tool to test the blades to ensure they are able to move freely, and then run hot water through the drain.
Finally, turn the power back on to the garbage disposal, turn the cold water on and run the disposal for a second. If there appears to still be a blockage call a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth for service.
- When operating the disposal run cold water to thoroughly flush away food waste. Turn the cold water on before starting the disposal. Allow the water to run for 20 seconds after you shut the disposal off to ensure waste is completely flushed away. Do not use Hot water when the disposal is actually in use. You can use it any other time, but not when the disposal is operating.
- Garbage disposal cleaners of various brands are available to prevent odors. Check with your disposals manufacturer to ensure the cleaner is approved for use. A fresh scented home solution is to grind up peels from lemons and oranges for a clean citrus scent when garbage disposal odor is a problem. It also helps to remove unsightly buildup.
- Have your kitchen drain line cleaned every two years by a plumber in Fort Worth. This will help to prevent a clogged drain whether you have a garbage disposal or not.
- Keep peels and vegetable material separate while cutting, and then feed it slowly into the disposal while running cold water. Don’t fill it up with material and then turn it on or a jam will occur.
- Never use drain cleaning products as they are likely to damage the disposal gaskets, as well as your plumbing. If you have used drain cleaners and have called a plumber be sure to inform the plumber in Fort Worth so he can protect himself from injury.
If you require garbage disposal repair, installation or service, call a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth will be glad to provide a professional installation for you.