Dealing With Gas Leaks
Gas Line Repair Fort Worth
Gas Line Maintenance
Natural gas is a clean, efficient fuel source used in many American homes for heating and cooking. While your home’s natural gas lines and appliances are relatively safe when professionally installed and maintained, it is important to understand possible hazards can occur with gas lines and gas appliances.
Reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Faulty furnaces, hot water heaters or other gas-fueled appliance can develop rust scale and holes in the combustion chamber causing dangerous risk to occupants of the home. If damage or blockage occurs prevents proper ventilation in flues, dangerous carbon monoxide can build to fatal levels in the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are similar to those of the flu without a fever and include headache, nausea, difficulty breathing, confusion and chest pain to name a few. If any home occupant experiences these symptoms everyone should get out of the house immediately and call 911, the fire department, or emergency medical services. The headache you always get when you come home can be a symptom, play it safe and have it checked.
The following are natural gas safety tips that you should have professionally performed to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or of a natural gas explosion:
- Only use licensed professionals to install gas lines.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, near bedrooms and at least one on each floor.
- Get a gas line inspection for appliances that use natural gas by a qualified technician once a year. Natural gas leaks rarely occur, but when a leak develops it can become quite dangerous very quickly. Keep in mind as natural gas is colorless and odorless in its natural state odors are added to it to help identify when a leak occurs.
If you detect the odor of rotten eggs or a sulfuric type of smell get everyone out of the house immediately and contact your gas utility company immediately or a professional if no help is available from the utility provider. If you smell the odor outside the home get far away from it. It is better to be safe than sorry. Don’t use a phone in your home if a gas leak is suspected; go to a neighbor’s home, or some distance away to use your cell phone.
- Gas leaks may occur outside the home in gas lines or meters. You may notice the rotten egg/sulfur odor. Watch the dying of plants or grass near the gas line or meter, if unseasonable browning of grass and dying plants are noted a gas leak may be present in the gas line.
- Have a professional provide an inspection of the vents, flues, and chimneys of all gas water heaters, furnaces, and fireplaces to ensure proper ventilation of exhaust gases.
- Do not use a gas oven to heat the house. This can damage the oven and cause carbon monoxide to be released into the home, always use the exhaust vent hood fan when a gas stove operates. It is the only ventilation provided for a gas stove to remove carbon monoxide from the home, use it each and every time.
- Never sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater that does not have proper ventilation, remember any fossil fuel emits carbon monoxide gases. This includes camping style heaters and cook stoves often used during power outages. Never use them inside the home or any other fuel or gas burning appliances intended for outdoor use.
Gas leaks in the home are most easily prevented by the following:
• Ensuring a proper gas line installation by licensed professionals certified to work with gas.
- Ensuring flexible gas lines are inspected each year by a qualified professional.
- Annual inspection of gas appliances including the gas furnace.
Remember to call ahead for any work that requires digging outside, homeowners should call their local utilities and request gas lines are marked before digging begins.
If you smell the “rotten egg” odor:
- Do not use your cell phone until safely away from your home.
- Shut gas valves off at your home. Some experts disagree and say to get out and away as quickly as possible, as is extremely explosive. It isn’t a bad idea to know how to shut gas valves off, especially at the meter. In a gas filled home don’t take the time to go to various appliances to shut them off. Get out of the home, and get your family to safety, and call 911 well away from the home and the smell of gas.
- Do not attempt to locate the leak.
- Do not turn on or off any electrical appliances.
- Do not smoke or use any open flames.
- Get a safe distance away from the house, and then call 911 and the utility company.
- If a natural gas line is damaged when digging outside, call the utility immediately. Do not attempt gas line repair yourself.
Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing-Fort Worth’s plumbing and gas repair professionals today for natural gas line installation, gas line repair and regular inspections to ensure you and your family’s safety. Our professionals provide gas line repair in the Fort Worth and Arlington, Texas regions. Give us a call, we will be happy to provide you with our exemplary service for all of your plumbing and gas line repair needs.