Water Conservation | Plumber in Fort Worth
Summer can bring reduced rains and the need for water conservation. It seems ironic that as glaciers melt and ocean levels rise, the interiors of continents are drying out, leaving officials with the unenviable task of calling for homeowners to conserve water in some regions. The best time to begin saving water is before you need to, and Benjamin Franklin Plumbing, your plumber in Fort Worth, can assist you in your water saving measures with the installation of water saving plumbing fixtures and appliances. The following will assist you with water conservation:
- Repair leaky faucets: It may not seem like much, but it quickly adds up. A single leaky faucet that drips twice per minute will add up to 70 gallons of water wasted within a year. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing will be happy to provide a plumber in Fort Worth for the professional repair of leaky faucets. Don’t forget to inspect outdoor faucets for leaks, placing a bucket under them in the morning and rechecking in the afternoon when it doesn’t rain will reveal slow leaks that you may not see.
- Turn off the tap when you aren’t using it. Many persons leave the water running when they are washing dishes and brushing their teeth. According to the EPA cutting the water off while you brush your teeth morning and evening can save 8 gallons of water a day by simply shutting off the faucet until you are ready to rinse after brushing. That is almost 250 gallons a month per person!
- Wait until the dishwasher is full to run. Consider the installation of a water saving dishwasher. Give Ben Franklin a call when you need a professional plumber in Fort Worth.
- Cut back on shower time, showering uses about 2.5 gallons of water a minute. If your shower takes time to get warm collect the pre-warmed water in a bucket to use on plants.
- Water the lawn early in the morning or late in the evening. If you water during the heat of the day most of the water will evaporate faster than the plants can absorb it. While the lawn will require a sprinkler system, the best means of providing the water your landscaping plants need and saving water is to install a drip system. A timer is a good way to ensure that sprinklers run when they need to. Give us a call when you need a plumber in Fort Worth.
- Install low-flow plumbing fixtures. Our professional plumbers can install low – flow faucets, plumbing fixtures such as toilets and low flow showerheads for example, and other water saving appliances to reduce your homes water use. Just give us a call for the professional services of a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth.
- Decades ago families used rain barrels with roof gutters to collect rain water. It was often many peoples only source of water. While it isn’t considered safe to drink unfiltered and untreated water today, rain barrels are gaining increased popularity among those concerned about the environment and water resources, and they are a great source of obtaining free water for plants and landscaping. Ensure you use a system that prevents mosquitos from entering the water storage and breeding to prevent diseases. Check with your local authorities for regulations regarding rainwater collection systems.
- Consider recycling grey water. Grey water is any water not flushed down the commode. Water from showers, sinks, laundry, and the condensate drain (the humidity from air conditioners) fall into the grey water category, and account for up to 80 percent of household water waste. Sanitized grey water can be reclaimed for usage in toilet tanks and irrigation for lawns and gardening, and is especially useful during droughts. A grey water harvesting system processes grey water through a system of filtration, straining, and sterilization methods connected directly to your drainage pipes at these sources. Storage tanks using an automatic control system operate the process, allowing the water to be reused. Check with your local authorities for regulations regarding grey water collection and treatment systems.
Connecting a grey water system to grey water source drains will most likely require a plumber. Give us a call for all of your needs when you require a plumber in Fort Worth.
- The next time you use a colander to wash vegetables or drain pasta slip a big pot under the colander. Set the water aside to cool if hot. Use the collected water on plants.
- Use old tea and coffee on outdoor plants or the garden, it also help to fertilize them!
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Fort Worth provides licensed professional plumbers in the Fort Worth and Arlington, TX regions. A member of the BBB, we provide prompt service you can depend upon backed by our exclusive 100% satisfaction guarantee. Give us a call for a professional plumber in Fort Worth or the Arlington regions.