Frozen Water Pipes | Plumber Fort Worth
Frozen water pipes are not an occurrence any homeowner cares to experience. The inconvenience of a lack of water at one or all locations is bad enough; and when a burst pipe occurs, the damage to your home can be catastrophic. If you have a burst pipe contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Fort Worth for pipe repair.
Be aware of the location of all shut off valves in your home and ensure they function properly. In addition, you should know where the main water valve is located and how to use it.
Seal any gaps where cold air can penetrate. In extreme cold, especially when wind is present, even a tiny opening can allow enough cold air in to freeze a pipe. Furthermore, seal around windows, cable and pipe penetrations. Inspect the gaskets and seals around doors and replace if cracks or damage is present. Seal cracks in siding and/or brick to prevent cold air from entering the walls. Not only will this prevent frozen pipes, it will assist in reducing your heating bill.
In addition, turn off and drain all outdoor faucets if you haven’t already, and insulate or use heat tape. Ensure you insulate the water supply pipe where it leaves the ground and supplies your home, or use heat tape. If your indoor or outdoor plumbing in Fort Worth has burst, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth for leak repair.
When Extremely Low Temperature is Expected
- Open the cabinet doors beneath the kitchen, and bathroom sinks to allow warm air to reach the pipes.
- Close or seal crawl space vents in the foundation.
- Keep the house warm.
Instructions for a Frozen Pipe
When frozen pipes occur, the first sign will be a lack of water at the fixture. Use the following instructions to thaw the pipe:
- Turn off the water and open the non-functioning faucet to allow air to enter the pipe.
- Never use any open flame to thaw a frozen pipe, house fires or pipe damage may occur.
- Never use an electric heater, or hair dryer directly to the frozen pipe. You can use heaters in the room where the pipe is located.
A Burst Pipe
If a pipe has burst allowing a water leak, turn off the home’s main water valve. Open the nearest taps to the burst pipe. A burst pipe is a plumbing emergency that will require the services of a plumber in Fort Worth for pipe repair.
Remember, if water is in contact with an electrical appliance or outlet plug, there is a risk of a life threatening shock. If you can safely reach the electrical service panel without entering the water, shut off the main breaker to cut off all power to the home. If water is between you and the service panel, check the breaker box located outdoors with your power meter, there should be a main breaker in this box as well. If you are unsure, wait until a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth arrives.
While You Are Away During the Winter
- Turn the main water valve off if your home does not have a fire sprinkler system.
- Leave the home’s heating system on, and do not set the temperature lower than 55 degrees.
- Ask a friend, family member or a neighbor to check on your home, especially when extreme cold is possible.
A Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Fort Worth is dedicated to quality plumbing, backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee, and ensured by our plumbers’ expertise. When you need a professional plumber in Fort Worth for frozen water pipes, give Benjamin Franklin’s dedicated licensed plumbers a call for prompt, reliable plumbing service. We serve Fort Worth, Arlington, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.