Garbage Disposal | Plumber Fort Worth, TX
The garbage disposal is a kitchen appliance installed on the sinks drain that shreds food, enabling it to pass through the drain pipes. Garbage disposals are in approximately 50% of U.S. Homes, compared to just 4% in Canada and 6% in the United Kingdom. As with any other mechanical device, the disposal requires some maintenance. In addition, knowing what can and can’t be placed in the disposal, and observing it, will go a long way in preventing the need for garbage disposal repair. When you need garbage disposal repair, installation or replacement, contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Fort Worth, TX for prompt, reliable service. Garbage disposals experience common problems, including the following.
Garbage Disposal Clogs
Your garbage disposal may be clogged if it’s making a humming sound and won’t grind the food waste. It can also not make any noise at all and be jammed. Typically, you can clear a jam without calling a plumber in Fort Worth, TX. However, if you are unable to clear the jam, contact our plumbers for assistance. Check the appliances owner’s manual for instructions. Otherwise, use the following instructions to clear a jam:
- Unplug the disposal, or shut off the power supplying it in the home’s electrical panel. If you are not comfortable with the process, contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth, TX, we can take care of it for you.
- With a flashlight, look inside the disposal for a blockage. Never place your hand or fingers inside of it. Use tongs, needle nose pliers or other item to remove the jam.
- If you’re unable to see a blockage, or to remove it, use the tool provided with the disposal or an Allen wrench inserted into the hole on the bottom of the disposal. Turn it back and forth in both directions until the blades move freely.
- Once the blades move freely, turn its power back on, and press the reset button on the bottom of the disposal.
- Turn on the water, and start the disposal. If the appliance is still jammed, repeat the step with the Allen wrench or supplied tool until the blades move freely in both directions. If the blades move freely, and the disposal won’t work, you may need a new disposal. A Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth, TX will check the disposal, and can provide a replacement if necessary.
When to Replace
A growing number of problems are a likely indication for a replacing a disposal. A Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth, TX can check the appliance and determine if it requires garbage disposal repair, or if it’s time to replace it. Signs a replacement may be necessary include:
- Frequent jamming can indicate wear and the need for replacement of the disposal. However, improper use can also cause jamming. Proper use includes disposing of approved food items, and feeding only a few small pieces at a time. It’s essential you turn the cold water on before you start the disposal, and before you feed any food items into the disposal, and allowing the water to continue to run for at least 20 seconds after you are through grinding food. If you have a lot of food to dispose of, place it in the trash, the disposal isn’t created for large amounts. Refer to your owner’s manual for detailed information.
- When a clog has occurred, press the reset button. In addition, when a clog isn’t present and the unit won’t operate, try the reset button. However, if resetting is more than normal, the motor may be worn. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth, TX for repair or replacement.
Garbage Disposal Installation
There are two basic types of garbage disposal, a continuous feed and a batch feed type.
Most people choose the continuous feed because they’re the easiest to use. The food is dropped into the disposal with the water running, and turned on until the food is ground up and flushed away.
In a batch feed disposal, the food waste is placed in a hopper, and the lid closed to activate the grinder. The batch feed is safer, but is priced slightly higher.
- To clean the garbage disposal, run cold water and squirt a little dish liquid in, Run the machine for about a minute.
- Remember to run a steady flow of cold water before, during and after food is ground. Allow the water to run for at least 20 seconds after you are done using the disposal. This flushes food debris from the disposal and the drain, and helps to prevent drain clogs.
- Cut food waste into small pieces, and only drop a couple of pieces at a time in the disposal. This will help to prevent jamming or damage to the appliance.
- When an odor is a problem, grind small pieces of citrus peels such as lemon, lime and orange for a fresh scent. You can also freeze white vinegar in an ice tray and drop a cube in the disposal to clean and deodorize.
- Place egg shells, seafood shells, paper, meat trays, metal, plastic or glass in the trash, and not the disposal. Otherwise, clogs and/or damage may occur requiring a plumber in Fort Worth, TX.
- Never pour fat, oils or grease down your drain. They will solidify on the pipe walls, building over time until a clog occurs. Once a grease clog develops, hydro jetting is the only solution for fully eliminating it in drains and sewer pipes. Contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Fort Worth, TX for effective drain cleaning.
- Don’t place fibrous food waste, such as celery stalks, corn husks, onion skins, , potato peelings, greens and artichokes in the disposal. In addition, don’t place poultry skin or fat in the appliance. These can cause a disposal jam and may damage the appliance. When this occurs, contact a plumber in Fort Worth, TX for garbage disposal repair.
- Pasta and rice are starchy food products that will create a drain clogging mush. Never place them in the disposal.
- Bones, fruit pits and other hard items can damage the disposal blades. Place them in the trash.
- Coffee grounds are bad for drains and will not “clean the drain” as is often claimed. They can cause a clog. Use them for composting, as they are excellent for gardens and flowers. If you need drain cleaning, contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth, TX.
- Never pour bleach, drain cleaners or other chemicals in the disposal to avoid damage. Use an approved garbage disposal cleaner for serious cleaning.
When you need garbage disposal replacement, garbage disposal repair, or installation, contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Fort Worth, TX for reliable, professional service. In addition, our plumbers offer a broad range of professional plumbing services. Our licensed plumbers have the expertise to ensure services you can rely on. We serve Fort Worth, Arlington, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.