Gas Leaks | Gas Line Repair Arlington
Natural gas provides a clean and efficient fuel for heating homes, cooking and producing hot water. When professionally installed and maintained, natural gas is relatively safe. However, when gas leaks occur, natural gas is extremely dangerous. Knowing the actions to provide before and after a gas leak occurs can be the difference between life and death for you and your family. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing provides professional gas line repair in Arlington.
The first step in gas safety is prevention. By only using a gas certified, licensed plumber for installation and gas line repair in Arlington, you are assured of using a trained professional who recognizes the importance of adherence to the highest safety standards.
A noticeable sign of a gas leak is its odor of sulfuric rotten eggs. The scent is added to natural gas to enable it to be detected. In its natural state, natural gas does not have an odor or taste. The following are potential signs of a gas leak:
- A rotten egg odor
- Dead, dying or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area
- Dirt, leaves or soil blowing from a hole in the ground
- Bubbling or spraying in wet or flooded areas
- Blowing, rushing, whistling, roaring or hissing sound
- Flames, if a leak has been ignited
- Damaged gas connections
- Exposed pipeline after an earthquake, fire, flood or other disaster
Additional Signs of the Need for Gas Line Repair in Arlington
Frequent pilot light problems on a furnace or other gas burning appliances in the home could indicate the presence of a gas leak. An unexplained and significantly higher than normal bill can indicate a leak. If these or any of the previous signs are evident follow the protocol for a gas leak, and when safe, contact a plumber in Arlington for Gas Line Repair in Arlington.
The Importance of Gas Line Repair in Arlington
A gas leak is an emergency. The importance of gas line repair in Arlington is due to its extreme danger. The threats a gas leak poses include suffocation, fire and explosion. When natural gas leaks within the home and a flame is struck, or a switch is turned on, an explosion can occur.
Natural Gas Safety for a Suspected Leak
- Evacuate the home, and leave the area immediately. Once you are a safe distance away, call 911, and the gas supplier, or call from a neighbor’s phone. Leave the door open, however, don’t risk opening windows. You don’t want to be in the home in the event of an explosion.
- Do not attempt to locate the source of the leak yourself.
- Do not use electrical devices, or operate light switches, telephones, garage door openers or other battery operated devices. It only requires a tiny spark to ignite natural gas.
- Do not use an open flame, matches or lighters and do not smoke.
- Walk away from the area as starting a car or motorcycle parked nearby can result in an explosion.
- Do not shut off natural gas valves, leave it to the experts.
- Do not attempt to provide gas line repair in Arlington.
- Do not operate appliances.
Call Before You Dig
Each year, gas lines are damaged from digging by homeowners and excavating by contractors. Occasionally, breaching a pipeline results in an explosion. If planning to dig, or work is scheduled by a contractor, call ahead to have gas lines located and marked by the gas provider at least 3 days ahead. The service is free.
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is an additional danger of all fossil fuels, including natural gas. Always use carbon monoxide detectors in homes utilizing gas. The recommended minimum is one on each floor with a CO detector located near sleeping areas. Remember to check the batteries along with those of the smoke alarm.
Gas-fueled appliances can develop rust, scale and holes in the combustion chamber, and can result in a carbon monoxide to leak into the home. When a blockage occurs in ventilation flues, carbon monoxide can rapidly build to fatal levels in the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms tend to be similar to those of the flu without a fever and include headache, nausea, difficulty breathing, confusion, unconsciousness and chest pain. A common symptom of a slow CO leak is frequent headaches that originate only in the home.
Additional Natural Gas Safety Tips
- Only use a gas certified, licensed professional plumber to provide installation or gas line repair in Arlington.
- Have a professional plumber to provide annual maintenance on the water heater, the plumber will inspect the ventilation flue during maintenance.
- Do not use a gas oven for heat. This can damage both the oven and cause carbon monoxide to build up in the home. A gas stove does not have ventilation flues. Use the exhaust vent hood fan to remove CO.
- Never sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater that lacks proper ventilation. This includes camp style heaters and camping cook stoves intended for outdoor use.
When gas leaks are suspected in your home, contact Benjamin Franklin’s professional plumbers for prompt gas line repair in Arlington. Our gas certified, licensed plumbers serve Arlington, Fort Worth and the surrounding areas. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.