How to Prevent Clogged Drains | Plumber Fort Worth
Prevent Clogged Drains | Plumber Fort Worth
Clogged drains are a frustrating nuisance for any home owner. Prevention is always the best policy. When you have drain issues, call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for a professional plumber in Fort Worth. After your drains are cleaned and free flowing, use the following preventative measures to help prevent clogged drains in the future:
- Properly dispose of grease, fat and oils – Cooking grease, fats and oil should never be flushed down the drain. Store cooled grease, fats and oils in a tightly sealed container and dispose of in the trash. Carefully wipe grease from cookware with absorbent paper towels and dispose of in the trash.
- Properly use Garbage Disposals – Cold water should always be turned on before using the garbage disposal, during its use, and for at least 20 seconds after you have finished using it. This ensures that food particles are flushed out of the disposal and down the pipes. Failure to do this will result in a stubborn clog. Hot water cannot be flushed down the drain while the garbage disposal is in use, but can’t be used at any other time.
Furthermore, do not use the disposal for hard foods such as bone, peach seeds or cherry pits; stringy or fibrous foods such as chicken skin, celery, corn husks, banana peels, or onion skins for example. Place a few ice cubes or frozen vinegar cubes in the disposal once a month to sharpen and clean the blades. Vinegar cubes will also deodorize the disposal for a clean fresh scent. Refer to your appliances owner’s manual for proper use.
- Protect the Toilet – A toilet was not engineered for just anything to be flushed down the hole. Paper towels, garbage, feminine products, makeup, medicine, cardboard toilet rolls, toys, chemicals, cotton swabs, cotton balls, baby wipes (even those that claim to be biodegradable are not), paper and wrappers, rubber or plastic products, paint, wax or other non-biodegradable items should not be flushed. In addition, show the same caution to other drains.
- Use Strainers – Install strainers on all of your sinks, tubs and showers. A simple strainer will catch food particles, hair, and other debris that may go down the drain and form a thick matrix of drain clogging debris that often requires drain cleaning from a plumber in Fort Worth. Empty the strainer often.
- Schedule a drain cleaning – Prevention provides the best defense against drain clogs with regular professional drain cleaning by a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth. A clean drain will provide efficient drains, and prevent odors. Consider drain cleaning annually or more often if needed. Clogged drains can result in back-up or busted drains. Never use over-the-counter drain cleaning products in the drains. The chemical reaction that can clear clogs may damage the drain itself, potentially requiring drain replacement.
- Install a sump pump – If you’re basement floods, or has ever flooded, consider installing a sump pump. A sump pump is the logical means of protecting your family, home and its foundation from extensive damage, and health issues due to flooding.
- Clogged drain vs. clogged sewer line – If all drains are clogged or experiencing slow drainage the issue is likely to be in the sewer line. A Ben Franklin plumber in Fort Worth will provide a video line inspection of your drain or sewer line accurately pinpointing the clog or issue causing the problem. The plumber will then safely clear your drain or sewer line issues.
High pressure water jetting provides the only effective means of cleaning drain or sewer lines clogged with grease. Furthermore, jetting provides a very effective method of reducing the corrosion inside cast iron pipes, providing a smoother surface for a more efficient flow of effluent in sewage pipes.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing provides professional plumbing services in Fort Worth, Arlington and surrounding areas. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth will exceed the standard industry standard with up-to-date knowledge and training as well as providing reliability, integrity and professionalism.
When you need a plumber in Fort Worth, and desire the best in the industry, give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing a call. Thanks for visiting Benjamin Franklin Plumbing.