Pipe Material | Plumbing Fort Worth
When you are in the position of repiping your home, selecting the ideal pipe material can be tedious. The pipe that is ideal for your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth will depend upon factors such as water chemistry, soil conditions, your home’s unique characteristics, and the budget.
In the following, the advantages and disadvantages of copper and PEX pipe is compared. This will assist you in making an informed decision of the appropriate plumbing in Fort Worth that is right for you and your home.
Advantages of Copper Pipe
Copper is bacteriostatic, inhibiting the growth bacteria.
Copper pipe is resistant to corrosion under normal conditions, and won’t rust or degrade in the outdoor environment. Furthermore, UV light doesn’t affect copper.
Copper is recyclable.
Copper offers some flexibility to ease installation.
Copper is more likely to endure natural disasters without breakage than some options such as PVC.
Resistant to freezing below the frost line in outdoor applications.
Copper has a lifespan of 50 to 75 years under normal conditions.
Disadvantages of Copper
Copper can corrode with an acidic pH of water.
Copper has a higher cost than plastic pipes.
May freeze and break if above the frost line, requires insulation.
Advantages of PEX Pipe
PEX pipe (cross-linked polyethylene) offers a cost effective option and is easy to install. PEX has often been the choice for limited budgets, and a need for repiping your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth. PEX offers superior flexibility, and can be installed in long pipe runs, reducing the number of fittings. These characteristics can significantly reduce installation time for your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth. Additional advantages include:
• The attachment of fittings utilizes a special crimping tool, eliminating the need for solder or glue.
• PEX tolerates 90 degree turns without elbows, requiring fewer fittings, and its flexibility enables installation in tight spaces that prohibits copper or PVC.
• PEX’s composition reduces heat transfer, saving energy by preventing heat loss.
• PEX’s design provides a shutoff valve at each supply line. This offers convenience when repair is required.
- PEX resists the buildup of the minerals in hard water that can accumulate, and clog copper and PVC pipe.
- PEX’s flexibility provides slight expansion and contraction. Water can still freeze inside PEX, but the slight expansion means PEX is less likely to burst than other pipe materials. PEX has an additional advantage other pipe materials do not. Its flexibility allows for slight expansion in freezing conditions. Use foam wrap insulation to prevent freezing in vulnerable locations.
- PEX can be used for both hot and cold water.
- With the use of adapters, PEX can be used with PVC or copper pipe.
- PEX is lead free, and is NSF International certified for water purity.
- PEX is budget friendly, offering a cost effective solution for re-piping of your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth.
Disadvantages of PEX
PEX cannot be used outdoors. It is vulnerable to freezing, and to UV rays which cause premature failure of the material. PEX can only be used for indoor plumbing in Fort Worth.
PEX is not recyclable.
Water contamination can occur when PEX contacts contaminates.
PEX may require bracing and support to prevent pipe movement.
PEX cannot be directly connected to a water heater. However, it can be connected to an 18-inch PVC or copper pipe, which connects to the appliance.
As a homeowner, you want to ensure the proper installation of your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth, ensuring the longest possible lifespan. Hiring a plumber with plumbing expertise assures the project provided meets, or exceeds the industry standards. When you contact a Benjamin Franklin licensed plumber in Fort Worth you are assured of receiving a first quality installation.
When re-piping is required for your home, our plumbers can assist you in the decision of the right pipe material for your budget, and your home’s unique needs for plumbing in Fort Worth. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing serves Fort Worth, Arlington and the surrounding areas. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.