Clogged Drains | Plumber Arlington
Clogged drains are a common plumbing issue, and clogged kitchen drains are one of the two most frequent to clog. With or without a garbage disposal, without diligent and consistent care, food particles and grease end up in the drain of the kitchen sink. A strainer will catch food particles, but not grease. Prevention is the most reliable method of preventing a clogged kitchen drain and the need to call a plumber in Arlington.
Scrape dishes clean into the garbage can. Then wipe them off to remove as much food residue as possible. This will go a long way in preventing drain clogs from occurring. The following tips may clear a clogged sink drain and may be attempted before contacting a professional plumber in Arlington.
- Periodically providing the drain with a hot water flush will help to prevent a clogged drain. Allow the sink to fill with hot water. When full, pull the strainer to allow the water to drain with the pressure of the water behind it. This may be repeated for 15 minutes for the best effect.
- The use of over the counter drain cleaners may result in damage to drain pipes, and are a health risk for you to use.
- Use baking soda and vinegar to clear clogs and freshen drains. Us a half and half mixture, for example, one cup of baking soda poured into the drain, followed by one cup of vinegar poured into the drain. Plug the sink drain on the opposite side to force the mixture further down into the drain. Let this mixture sit for half an hour or so, then rinse with a sink full of hot water to flush the drain of any broken up debris.
- Drain snakes are a plumber’s tool and are often successful in breaking through clogs. They may also be used to pull out material blocking drains. While they won’t provide a perfectly clean, fresh scented drain as some of the modern technology used by a professional plumber in Arlington; they can succeed in getting a drain to flowing again. Drain snakes can be purchased at home improvement stores.
- Using a Sink Plunger may break-up a stubborn clog. Be aware, sink plungers and toilet plungers are of vitally different design. A sink plunger is the standard plunger that is flat on its bottom edges. Whereas, a toilet plunger has a flange to enable it to fit into the hole at the bottom of a toilet.
- To plunge the kitchen sink with a clogged drain, fill the sink with approximately three inches of water if none is already in it. This will form a snug seal between the plunger and the drain entrance. Now Plunge the sink with a regular rhythm for one minute. If the sink has overflow vents, cover them securely with duct tape before plunging. If this isn’t possible, plug them with a wet cloth that completely blocks them.
- If you have the DIY skills to remove and clean plumbing traps this may eliminate the clog if located in the trap. Plumbing traps are the short curve in your drain under the sink, designed to hold water and prevent dangerous sewer gases from entering the home.
Often, clogs are simply too large, or too dense for anything less than the professional services of a plumber in Arlington to clear them.
The early warning sign of a developing clog is a drain that is slow. Left untreated, it will eventually cease to drain at all, or even potentially cause the drain to burst.
When you call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for a plumber in Arlington, you receive a plumber with the expertise and experience to clear any plumbing issue, including stubborn drain clogs. We provide full plumbing services for homes and businesses, including an annual plumbing inspection and tune-up. If you would like to keep your plumbing more worry free, this low cost alternative has many benefits. Give us a call for further information on this service.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing are known as the plumbing professionals who provide the prompt plumber in Arlington, or it’s you we pay. We are a long standing member of the BBB with an A+ rating. All of our work is backed behind our 100% satisfaction guarantee, or we redo it for free. No other plumbing company provides all of these benefits. Give us a call, when you require professional plumber in Arlington with the best guarantees. We service the Fort Worth and Arlington regions.