Plumbing Checklist | Plumbers Arlington, Texas
Environmental awareness has led to an increased number of people taking steps to reduce their carbon footprint and conserve water. The average family of four in the U.S. uses 400 gallons of water a day, with an estimated 25% from flushing the toilet, 17% from showering, with nearly 14% lost due to leaks. This blog provides you with a plumbing checklist to assist you in conserving water. When you require plumbing installation, plumbing repair or replacement give our plumbers in Arlington, Texas a call.
Shortages of water have been experienced nationwide in numerous regions. Experts warn of a number of U.S. water resources being at risk of depletion. Environmental awareness is creating a nationwide ‘environmental conscious’, and while every household that joins the effort helps to save the precious resource, in many regions, it simply isn’t enough. There is still work to be done in order to win the battle of protecting our nation’s water. Water conservation is a win/win situation. The homeowner saves money and the precious resource is preserved. The following tips will assist you in being water smart.
Tips for Water Conservation
- The EPA estimates 29 billion gallons of water are used every day across the nation. If 14% is lost each day due to leaks, that accounts for approximately 41 million gallons lost each day in the U.S. To put it into perspective, 41 million gallons equals 26 inches of rain being lost every single day in the U.S. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing’s plumbers in Arlington, Texas provide leak repair.
- Turn off the water while you shave or brush your teeth. When washing dishes, stack them until you have a full sink to rinse, rather than allow the water to run while you wash.
- Keep a pitcher of filtered drinking water in the refrigerator. If you would like the installation of a water filtration system in Arlington call Benjamin Franklin’s plumbers in Arlington, Texas for professional installation.
- While waiting for tap water to become hot, catch the cold water in a pitcher and use it on plants or save in gallon containers and add to wash water.
- Wash full loads of laundry when possible. For smaller loads, use the appropriate water level or load size selection.
- Use a leaf blower or a broom to clean driveways, patios, decks and sidewalks rather than using a garden hose to clean them.
- Wash cars with water from a bucket rather than allowing the garden hose to run.
- When scrubbing vegetables such as potatoes, use a bowl of water rather than allow the water to run. Once cleaned you can rinse them off. You can then use the bowl of water on plants.
- Use a basin for shaving water, not only will it use less water you will be able to toss the water on outdoor plants and keep clogging hair out of the drain.
- Replace washers on leaky garden hoses. It’s as simple as lifting out the old and pressing in a new.
- Use buckets or rain collection drums to catch rain water from roofs, and use in planting beds and gardens.
- Purchase water-efficient shower heads, toilets and other water using appliances.
Our plumbers in Arlington, Texas offer professional installation of water saving faucets, shower heads and toilets.
- In areas where high water pressure is a present, check the water pressure each year in an outdoor tap location. High water pressure can result in water leaks and broken appliances.
- Monitor for signs of corrosion on the hot water heater and check for leaks routinely. When corrosion is noted a leak may be only a moment away from occurring. Call our plumbers in Arlington, Texas for water heater repair or replacement.
- Routinely inspect the crawl space or basement for signs of flooding or leaks, and remember to check after heavy rains.
- During the winter routinely monitor around outdoor faucets. Even when properly wrapped, extreme cold may cause frozen pipes and resulting leaks.
- After extreme cold check each tap in the home, especially those in vulnerable locations such as next to or within an exterior wall. A frozen pipe may burst, flooding the home, crawlspace or basement. Check the basement after extreme cold for leaking water pipes. If you require pipe repair contact our plumbers in Arlington, Texas.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing offers licensed plumbers for your plumbing needs. Leaks should never be ignored. Even a small leak on a faucet has the potential to become a flood, overflowing the sink and flooding the home. This may result in severe damage to the home and its foundation.
We hope you found the plumbing checklist useful. When you require the services of professional plumbers in Arlington, Texas call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing. We provide licensed plumbers with the expertise to get the job right the first time. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.