Plumbers in Arlington, Texas – Garbage Disposal Repair
Plumbers in Arlington, Texas – If you need garbage disposal repair or replacement, the following can assist you in determining which is right for your situation. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing’s plumbers in Arlington, Texas can provide the assistance you require.
Garbage Disposal Clogs
A humming noise without grinding or no noise at all may indicate a jam. Most homeowner’s can clear a jam themselves without calling plumbers in Arlington, Texas. However, if you don’t feel up to the job, our plumbers will be glad to assist you. Use the following general instructions to clear a jam:
- Turn the power to the appliance off by unplugging it, or shutting it off in the home’s electrical panel. If you aren’t certain it’s shut off, contact plumbers in Arlington, Texas to remove the jam.
- Use a flashlight to look inside the disposal for a visible blockage. Never place your hand or fingers inside the disposal at any time. Use tongs, long needle nose pliers or a similar tool to remove visible jams or objects.
- If you don’t see a blockage, or are unable to remove it, use the tool provided with the disposal or an Allen wrench inserted into the hole on the bottom of the disposal. Work the tool back and forth in both directions until the blades move freely in both directions.
- Plug in the appliance, and press the reset button, also located on the bottom of the disposal.
- Turn on the water, and then the disposal. If the appliance is still jammed, repeat the process until the blades move freely in both directions. If the appliance won’t work after removing the jam, and the blades move freely, it’s likely you need a new disposal. Contact Ben Franklin Plumbing’s plumbers in Arlington, Texas who will check the disposal, and can provide replacement if required.
When the garbage disposal is experiencing a growing number of problems, it may indicate it’s time for a replacement. Ben Franklin plumbers in Arlington, Texas can determine if the disposal needs repair, or if it’s time to replace it. The following may indicate the need for replacement:
- Frequent jamming with recommended use can indicate wear and the need for replacement. Improper use reduces the lifespan of the appliance, and is likely to cause damage as well as wear. The proper use includes disposing of approved food items in just a few small pieces slowly, and running cold water before, during and after use is essential for its long term use. Refer to your owner’s manual for detailed information.
- It’s common for the need to press the reset button after clogs or heavy use. However, when you seem to be resetting the unit more than is normal, the motor may be worn.
- A leaking garbage disposal can often be repaired by tightening connections or replacing O-rings. However, other leaks may be costly to repair, and the cost effective solution may be contacting plumbers in Arlington, Texas for replacement of the existing disposal. This is especially true for disposals 10 years old or older.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips:
- Maintain a clean garbage disposal by occasionally running cold water and dish soap in it and allow it to run for a minute.
- Run a steady flow of cold water before and during the grinding of food in the disposal. Allow the water to continue to run for at least 20 seconds after grinding is complete to flush food debris from the disposal and the drain.
- You can grind small, cut up citrus peels such as lemon, lime and orange for a fresh scent. An alternative is to freeze white vinegar in an ice tray and grind them in the disposal to clean, deodorize and kill bacteria.
- Cut large pieces of food into small pieces to prevent damage and jamming of the disposal. Only place one to two pieces in the unit at one time.
- Never place non-food items into the disposal. Paper, meat trays, metal, plastic or glass should be placed in the trash, and not the disposal. Doing so is likely to cause damage requiring the service of plumbers in Arlington, Texas.
- Grease, oil, and fats can cling to disposal blades and clog the drain. Allow it to cool down and place in a sealed container in the trash.
- Grinding fibrous food waste such as celery stalks, corn husks, onion skins, greens and artichokes are almost certain to cause a jam and potential damage requiring garbage disposal repair by plumbers in Arlington, Texas.
- Pasta and rice create a starchy mush in the disposal that can cause clogs.
- Bones, fruit pits and other hard items can cause damage to the blades and the disposal. Dispose of them in the trash.
- Contrary to the belief that coffee grounds can clean a drain, they actually cause drain clogs. Use them instead in flower beds or composting, benefiting your plants while preventing clogs. When your drains need cleaning, contact a Ben Franklin.
- Never use harsh chemicals such as bleach or drain cleaners in the disposal to avoid damage. If the disposal needs serious cleaning, purchase garbage disposal cleaner.
About Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Arlington, Texas
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Arlington, TX has professional plumbers in Arlington, Texas servicing Fort Worth and surrounding areas. Our experienced, courteous and friendly plumbers provide on time plumbing related services to not only Arlington but surrounding areas also. If you are in need of a professional plumber that you can count on for plumbing repairs, maintenance and / or installation then you can count on us at Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Arlington, Texas.
Ben Franklin Plumbing is a leader in the field for plumbing related repairs. We are also one of the most trusted plumbing service brands in the industry with high standards of service that you can rely on. When you contact us you can rest assured knowing that you are receiving the best plumbers in Arlington, Texas. Our commitment to service and excellence is reflected in our stone solid A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. If you have a plumbing related problem in your home or business and you need help, do not hesitate to contact us today. Our professional, courteous and friendly plumbers in Arlington, Texas will be more than happy to assist you and answer any of your questions and schedule an appointment with you to assess the plumbing related problem and resolve it at your earliest convenience. Give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing in Arlington, Texas a call today if you are looking for professional plumbers in Arlington, Texas. If there’s any delay, it’s you we pay®