Sump Pump Services | Plumbers in Arlington, Texas
The Benefits of a Sump Pump Installation
If your basement is at risk of flooding, you don’t want to waiting until flooding has already occurred to have one installed. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Fort Worth installs sump pumps. There are many benefits to having our plumbers in Arlington, Texas install a sump pump, let’s look at some of them in the following.
- Dampness and humidity control are one of the most common reasons homeowners have a sump pump installed by our professional plumbers in Arlington, Texas. A sump pump will help to keep the basement dry, and help prevent the “musty basement” odor.
- Moisture and water in the basement can lead to mold and mildew which can cause increased health problems in persons with asthma, allergies and respiratory problems. Even in healthy people mold can lead to illness and death. When your basement floods, call the professional plumbers in Arlington, Texas for prompt service.
- The basement isn’t the only place where mold and mildew can develop due to water in the basement. Humidity inside the home upstairs will increase as a direct result to water in the basement. The moisture also permeates the floor joists of the first floor above a basement filled water placing them at risk for rot, along with all wood structures and furnishings in the floors above. When continuous high levels of humidity remain in the upstairs, metal appliances will begin to rust.
- Protecting the integrity of your homes foundation is important. Flooding can cause catastrophic damage to a home. In the basement, even an unfurnished one, water can cause deterioration of the foundation with cracking in the concrete floors and walls. Once that happens, your home has lost value, strength and structural integrity. Repair of a cracking foundation is expensive, and collapse is possible if not repaired. The cost of damage by far exceeds the cost of sump pump installation. Call our plumbers in Arlington, Texas for reliable sump pump services.
- Water causes metal to rust. Anything metal in the basement will rust if its feet stand in water. Even one single incident of water exposure can lead to rust, and this includes the rebar reinforcement used within the concrete of the homes foundation to give it strength. This is why when flooding occurs you don’t want to delay calling the plumbers in Arlington, Texas.
- A sump pump can prevent all of this damage and it is best to install one before water collects. Even homes on the side of a hill can be at risk. When the waterproofing seal of a basement wall fails over time, water can enter the foundation and into the basement, and cracks can occur allowing water to enter. It isn’t a bad idea to select a model with a back-up battery to enable the sump pump to continue to pump water during power outages. The old saying is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
How Sump Pumps Work
It is estimated that 96% of basements will experience flooding at some time. The causes are varied, you may have experience a busted main, or it may be due to excess rainfall where rain falls faster than it can drain away allowing water to enter through cracks in the foundation, walls, floors, and the drain or other locations.
Sump pumps pump out water that has collected in the sump pit when it has reached a certain level. The water is pumped outside through drain pipes to a safe distance away from your home – keeping your basement free of any potential water damage. Give us a call, our plumbers in Arlington, Texas or Fort Worth will provide a prompt installation if a sump pump, giving you back your peace of mind.
Sump Pump Maintenance
Like any other mechanical device the sump pump requires some simple maintenance. Use the following to ensure your sump pump functions when it’s needed.
Test the Sump Pump
Test the sump pump to ensure it is operational before your areas rainy season begins, or if you will be away from home for an extended time such as when your family goes on vacation.
First, check the open end of the discharge pipe where water is discharged outside to ensure nothing blocks its flow. Next, to test the pump, clean out any debris that has accumulated into the basin, and the covering screen. Then using a bucket pour approximately 5 gallons of water into the pit. It should automatically cut on and pump the water out. If it fails to clear the water out, you may need the services of Benjamin Franklin’s plumbers in Arlington, Texas.
Sump Pump Troubleshooting
If your sump pump won’t cut on, first check the breaker for the pump and ensure it is in the on position. Some breakers aren’t so easy to determine on/off with. You can push it to the on position. If it moves to on then it was tripped. If the pump fails to come on when adequate water is present in the pit, press the pumps reset button if it has one. If the pump still doesn’t cut on call our plumbers in Arlington for repairs.
On the other hand, a common problem is a pump that won’t shut off. The first thing to check is the water flow in the pit. If it is circulating the discharge line has come off. Next check the discharge pipe to ensure it isn’t blocked. If no water is being discharged there is a clog or blockage somewhere in the discharge line. This will require our plumbers in Arlington, Texas to provide repair.
If the pump is pumping water out of the discharge pipe and the pump is continuously running you may need a higher capacity pump, or a second backup pump to assist. The pump may be seated to low in the pit. To see if this is the case turn the pump off and see how high the water rises in the pit. If the water stops rising the pump may simply need to be raised a few inches. However, if the pit overflows you will need a higher capacity pump, or a back-up pump installed. In addition, any increase in the ground water level can cause a flooded basement. Ben Franklin’s plumbers in Arlington, Texas will be happy to provide the sump pump service you require.
Sump Pump Repair
The sump pump is a mechanical device, and like any other will eventually wear out and require repair, or replacement. This is the reason many homeowners have our plumbers in Arlington, Texas install a back-up sump pump. It protects the basement when larger than normal flooding occurs, and provides a secondary source when the primary pump fails.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Fort Worth provides licensed plumbers for your plumbing needs in the Fort Worth and Arlington, Texas area. Give us a call for your sump pump installation, maintenance, or repair services or other plumbing needs. When you want the services you can count on by licensed plumbers in Arlington, Texas and Fort Worth call the plumbing professionals at Ben Franklin Plumbing. Our plumbers are backed by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.