Clogged Drains | Plumber Arlington
Clogged drains are a common problem for homeowners’. Prevention provides the best means of preventing clogged drains, and even with diligent care they still occur, though not as frequently. When you experience drain problems, call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for a professional plumber in Arlington. Our plumbers provide the expertise to provide a clean, free flowing drain. Use the following measures to help prevent clogged drains:
- Dispose of grease, fat and oils – Cooking grease, fats and oil should never be washed down the drain or placed in a garbage disposal. Store cooled grease, fats and oils in a tightly sealed container and dispose of in the trash or periodically take it to your local recycling center. Use absorbent paper towels to wipe grease residue from dishes and pans and dispose of in the trash.
- Drains clogged with grease and fat will benefit from water jetting. Water jetting is the only drain cleaning method that will remove grease and fat clogs. Our plumber will use video line inspection to locate and identify the clog, once the clog is cleared and the pipe is cleaned, a free video line inspection will be provided to ensure a thorough job and that no additional problems are present.
- Periodically providing the drain with a hot water flush will help to prevent a clogged drain. Fill the sink with hot water, and then allow the water to drain with the pressure of the water behind it. This may be repeated for 15 minutes for the best results.
- Use baking soda and vinegar to clear minor clogs and reduce odors. Use one cup of baking soda poured into the drain, followed by one cup of vinegar poured into the drain. Plug the sink drain on the opposite side to force the mixture further down into the drain. Let it sit for half an hour, and then rinse with a sink full of hot water to flush the drain.
- Properly use garbage disposals – Turn cold water on before using the garbage disposal, let it run during its use, and for at least 20 seconds after you have finished using it. This ensures that food particles are flushed out of the disposal and down the drain, helping to prevent stubborn clogs. Don’t use hot water while the garbage disposal is in use, but can be used at any other time.
- In addition, don’t use the garbage disposal for bone, peach seeds or cherry pits; stringy or fibrous foods such as chicken skin, celery, corn husks, banana peels, for example. Use a couple of ice cubes or frozen vinegar cubes in the disposal once a month to sharpen and clean the blades, and to deodorize the disposal. Orange or lemon peels processed through the disposal will clean and provide a clean fresh citrus scent.
- Protect the Toilet – The toilet was created for bath tissue and human waste. Paper towels, feminine products, diapers, medicine, toys, chemicals, cotton swabs, cotton balls, baby wipes (even those that claim to be biodegradable), rubber or plastic products, paint, or other non-biodegradable items should not be flushed.
- Use Strainers – Use strainers in sinks, tubs and showers. The use of strainers will catch food particles, hair, and other debris that may go down the drain and form a thick matrix that often requires professional drain cleaning by a plumber in Arlington. Empty the strainer frequently, and the kitchen strainer daily due to the presence of bacteria.
- Use a Sink Plunger – To plunge the kitchen sink, fill the sink with approximately 3-4 inches of water. This will help to form a seal between the plunger and the drain. Plunge the sink with a regular rhythm for one minute. If the sink has overflow vents, cover them securely with tape before plunging. When plunging the sink fails to clear a clog call for drain cleaning by a plumber in Arlington.
- Schedule a drain cleaning by a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington – Regular professional drain cleaning by a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington is the best means of maintaining a free flowing drain. The average home will benefit from a professional drain cleaning every year or two, depending upon the habits of the household members. A clean drain will provide efficient drains, and prevent odors. Clogged drains can result in back-up or burst drains.
- Clogged drain vs. clogged sewer line – If all drains are clogged or experiencing slow drainage, the problem may be in the sewer line. A Ben Franklin plumber in Arlington can safely clear your drain or sewer line issues.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing provides professional plumbing services in Fort Worth, Arlington and the surrounding areas. A Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Arlington exceeds standard industry practices and strives to exceed your expectations.
When you need a plumber in Arlington, and desire the best, give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing a call. Our plumbers have the expertise and the latest state-of-the-art equipment to clear your clogged drains and keep your drains functioning clean and efficiently. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating. Thanks for visiting Benjamin Franklin Plumbing.