Protect Your Home From Flooding | Plumber Fort Worth
Sump Pump | Plumber Fort Worth
When your home’s basement floods, a sump pump will prevent it, and protect your home and its foundation. However, homeowners who intend to purchase a pump and install it themselves need to be aware of the reasons why the selection and installation of a sump pump should be left to a qualified, licensed plumber in Fort Worth.
Sump Pump Installation
A submersible sump pump is typically the preferred choice in most residential applications, but they aren’t all the same. When you require a sump pump, trust a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth for the professional installation of a sump pump.
- Horsepower (HP) – Sump pumps of all horsepower from different manufacturers can vary in output. You can hire a plumber to tell you the required horsepower. However, buying the stated horsepower doesn’t mean you will receive the pumping power that you require due to the variance between manufacturers. Trust your Benjamin Franklin plumber to provide the proper sump pump for your basement and to provide a professional installation.
- Varied vertical lift and horizontal runs will call for different HP pumps. The pipe height and the length of the discharge line will be a factor in the determination of the required HP. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth has the skills, training and experience to determine the necessary factors specific to your basements specific sump pump needs.
- Water table – The height of the water table and other flood characteristics affecting your home will be part of your sump pump HP requirements. A Benjamin Franklin plumber will know the calculations required to ensure the proper pump for your home.
- The proper size pump is essential – Bigger isn’t always better. Discharging the water too fast will result in reduced life of the pump. On the other hand, a pump that isn’t large enough will result in continued flooding, and an overworked pump with a reduced life. Trust your Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth to select the appropriate pump.
- Monitor for a frozen discharge – Check the outdoor discharge pipe during cold temperatures. A frozen pipe can result in blockage preventing the discharge of water, and a flooded basement.
- Utilize a battery powered back-up sump pump – The primary pump provides the home’s first line of defense. When the primary fails or the power is out, a battery back-up sump pump will prevent a flooded basement. Furthermore, when unusually heavy flooding occurs the backup pump will provide assistance to the primary pump.
Each year, insurance companies pay out billions of dollars for water loss claims resulting from burst pipes, flooded basements and broken appliance hoses. For the insurance companies researched for this blog, Texas was number one for the greatest number of water loss claims. Insurance companies recommend checking the sump pump monthly to ensure proper operation. Furthermore, they recommend a battery back-up sump pump. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth can install a back-up sump pump for you.
Sump Pump Repair and Care
The sump pump requires routine maintenance to maintain its proper operation. The following is recommended:
- Clean the pump inlet screen to prevent blockage, which can overwork the pump and cause potential damage.
- Check to ensure the primary pump is plugged in. Accidental unplugging can result in a flooded basement. Check the electrical cord for fraying, cracking, pet or rodent damage and other damage. If cord damage is noted, contact a plumber in Fort Worth for repair.
- Routinely test the pump to ensure it will operate. Pour a bucket of water into the pit, enough to raise the float and trigger the pump to run. Clean the pit annually or as required to eliminate the debris that can clog or damage the pump. Keeping the cover over the sump pit will assist in maintaining a clean sump pit.
For sump pump repair or installation contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth to schedule service.
Additional home maintenance can reduce the chance of water damage by providing the following care:
- Check the gutters and downspouts every few months, especially in the early fall and when the leaves begin to fall and again after the trees are bare. When leaves and other debris block gutters and drain pipes, water can drain into the home.
- Gutters and downspouts should extend a suitable distance from the foundation to divert water away from the foundation. The ground in contact with the home, should slope away to prevent water running into the basement or foundation.
- Have the roof inspected annually for damage, deterioration and loose shingles.
- Inspect doors and window frames for gaps between the sills where caulk may be cracked, missing, loose or deteriorating. Replace and paint after caulking.
- Replace appliance hoses with flexible, braided steel hoses, which are stronger and more reliable.
- The installation of a water leak detection system can alert you when flooding occurs. These systems connect to a water-sensitive probe that sets off an electronic alarm that signals a water leak.
To prevent basement flooding a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Fort Worth can provide the professionalsump pump installation that your home requires. A sump pump will keep your home dry and protect its structural integrity, providing a healthier and safer home. Our plumbers are nationally recognized as among the best in the nation, and we back our claims, with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing’s professional licensed plumbers serve Fort Worth, Arlington and the surrounding areas. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.