Photo By selim bekil at istock
Homeowners need to keep their plumbing to work efficiently to avoid calling a plumber in Lake Worth, TX for repairs or plumbing emergencies.
Below are helpful tips to keep your drains, pipes, sump pump, dishwasher, garbage disposals, laundry, washing machine, toilets and heaters in top shape. We also include general plumbing tips to keep your system always running.
- Never throw food waste in your drains to avoid clogs. Food can also create a breeding ground for germs when they stay in your pipes. As much as possible, find an effective way to get rid of food waste such as Composting. You may also consider installing a garbage disposal so you can properly manage food waste. Hire a plumber in Lake Worth, TX to help you properly install this device for your home.
- Do not remove strainers in your kitchen and bathroom drains as they are there for a reason. They serve a purpose: to catch hair, soap scums and other debris that will find their way into your pipes. Clean these strainers to avoid smelly drains and blocked pipes.
- Grease should not be thrown in the drains. This is a no-no because grease solidifies and hardens. Eventually, they will be the major reason for clogs. Put grease in the fridge to freeze them and throw them in the bin.
- Every couple of days, pour about a gallon of hot water down the drain to remove those extra oils or food particles in the pipes. You may also use the baking soda and vinegar solution to get rid of drain smells. The solution should make your sink smelling clean and fresh.
- Chemical-based drain cleaners are a major no-no. It can pose serious health risks and they are not also helpful for your pipes. Your pipes will be susceptible to damage with chemical-based cleaners. Either use a Green solution or get a professional in Lake Worth, TX to help you deal with clogs.
- Hire a professional drain cleaning service in Lake Worth, TX. Licensed plumbers are equipped with the tools and equipment to effectively maintain your drains.
- If you have galvanized pipes, contact a plumber in Lake Worth, TX for replacement. Galvanized pipes are more susceptible to damage and corrosion. Talk to your plumber about this as he can better assist you with what type of pipe you should get for your plumbing.
- During extremely cold winters or below zero temperatures, hire a plumber to help you insulate the pipes. When you don’t protect them, the water may freeze and you get a complete blockage. As a result, you won’t be able to use any water in your home.
- Schedule an appointment with a plumber so he can do a proper inspection of your pipes. They might have already exceeded their lifespan. When there are signs such as low water pressure or dirty water, it may be time to completely replace them with better pipes.
- Regularly inspect your pipes for leaks. Remember that a small leak can waste gallons of water and may give you higher utility bills. If you suspect an invisible leak, the best thing to do would be to call a plumber so they can do a proper inspection of your system.
- Always be careful of what you throw down the drains because they will make their way into your pipes and may eventually damage them.
- Flush only water and a certain kind of toilet paper in the toilet, nothing else. Avoid sanitary pads, food particles, diapers or any dirt in the toilet as they will only result in clogs. If you have children at home, educate them on how to properly take care of your toilet. Monitor their use of toilet paper to avoid clogging.
- Regularly do a leak test for your toilet. Use a food coloring and pour a few drops in the tank and wait for about 30 minutes. Check the toilet bowl after. If the color changes, then there is a leak. Call a plumber in Lake Worth, TX to help you alleviate the problem.
- Perform regular checks for the toilet by making sure that the fill valve is working properly. Remove the lid of your tank and try flushing the toilet. Your toilet fill valve should stop dispensing water. When it does, make sure you contact a plumber so they can help you effectively deal with the problem.
- To save water, consider purchasing dual flush toilets. Because it uses about 50% less than regular toilets, that means you get to also save energy and protect the environment.
- The garbage disposal is not designed to break down large food particles or debris. Make sure that you avoid putting down animal bones, rice and even small plastics as they can eventually clog your garbage disposal.
- To get rid of bad odors, make it a habit to grind citrus fruits or orange peels in your garbage disposal.
- Make sure that you break up large food particles before throwing them in the disposal to avoid clogs.
- If you drop something in the disposal and you need to retrieve it, always exercise caution. Do make sure that you unplug the unit before retrieving anything. If possible, call a professional instead so they can better assist you with your problem.
- To save water, do run the washing machine only on full loads. You can also buy high-efficiency washers to save on water and energy.
- Stainless steel hoses last longer than the rubber ones. If you are still using rubber hoses, periodically check them for wear and tear. If possible, contact a professional in Lake Worth, TX and consider replacing rubber hoses with stainless steel to maximize the efficiency of your washer.
- Call a professional about installing a flood alarm for your laundry room. The alarm should warn you about leaks either in your heater or your washing machine.
- Check whether your hoses are still in good condition. If they are bulging, it may be time to replace them. Make sure you call a professional to help you properly install your washing machine hoses.
Conventional Water Heaters
- To reduce heat loss and energy, always insulate your heater’s storage tank. It will be best to also insulate the area where your tank is located. Do read the manufacturer’s guidelines or recommendations for maintaining your storage tank. If you need any more assistance, make sure you contact a licensed plumber in your area.
- Consider switching to tankless water heaters for they have more benefits compared to the conventional ones. You do not need a bigger space for it and you save more energy as it only heats water on demand. Also, you will never run out of water. The only downside is you will not have water during a power outage, but the benefits still outweigh its disadvantages.
- Sediments can build up in your tank and it can cause corrosion over time. It can also decrease your heater’s efficiency and lower its intended lifespan. You can avoid this problem by draining your water heater tank. You can always talk to a plumber to help you do this or schedule regular maintenance with a plumber.
- Water heater maintenance is important if you want the water heater to last for many years. Apart from draining your tank, make sure you also clean the exterior to keep it in good shape. Do inspect it regularly for leaks.
- Before using the dishwasher, make sure that you know how to use it. Always read the guide provided by the manufacturer to ensure you are doing it correctly. Also, consider buying Energy Star dishwashers to save at least 25% on water. To save more water, use the dishwasher only on full load.
- You can save more energy when you skip the fan or electric heat for drying the dishes. What you can do is air dry them instead. Try leaving the dishes inside the dishwasher overnight. They will be ready to use by the next day.
- You can also skip on the pre-rinse to save more water and energy. Before putting the dishes in the washer, scrape off the dirt. This should also reduce the amount of food particles that get stuck on dishes after the cycle.
- Clean the dishwasher with a vinegar solution. A cup of vinegar should do. Put them in the dishwasher before running a normal cycle. The vinegar removes food particles that are stuck inside and it also keeps your dishwasher smelling clean and fresh.
- Like your other appliances, you need to clean the sump pump to get rid of the debris and dirty water. You can do this at least once a year or after every major use. To clean, just remove the pump and clean the screen on the bottom. Over time or after several uses, this can get clogged with gunk and dirt. Include the drainage plumbing and check for any clogs as well. Remove any debris or whatever is stuck in the pipes to keep them running efficiently. If you encounter a problem, call a professional for assistance.
- When there is a storm coming, make sure you test the sump pump to make sure it will function efficiently. Doing this lets you avoid costly plumbing emergencies or repairs.
- Get battery backups for your sump pump. You will need them, especially during a heavy storm when the power is likely to be interrupted. The backup battery or generator assures you that the sump pump runs when there is no power. Also, regularly check the cords and make sure it is connected to the circuit interrupter to prevent injuries when it malfunctions.
- Schedule regular maintenance with a licensed plumber in Lake Worth, TX to ensure that your entire system is working efficiently. A plumber will check everything including the pipes, sump pumps and your sewage.
- As a homeowner, it’s your responsibility to do maintenance of all your plumbing appliances and fixtures to extend their lifespan and improve their efficiency.
- Never ignore minor leaks or clogs in your plumbing. You can purchase some basic plumbing tools for getting rid of clogs without the use of chemical-based cleaners. If you do not know how to resolve the issue, always hire the services of a licensed plumber in your area. Another reason for resolving minor plumbing problems is to avoid costly plumbing emergencies.
- Your appliances will not last forever. If you have started having problems with them, contact a plumber so they can check whether it would be cost-effective to do repairs or to get them replaced.
- If you are selling your home, consider upgrading to the high-efficiency appliance and plumbing fixtures. You may also decide to install a water filtration system for your home to ensure clean drinking and cooking water for everyone.
- Before using any plumbing appliance, make sure that you know how to use it. Read the manual including suggestions from the manufacturer on how to properly maintain it. This allows you to maximize the appliance efficiency and keep them in top shape.
Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth
Do you need a plumber in Lake Worth, TX? Get in touch with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing today! All our plumbers are experts in what they do. They are certified, licensed and have had several years of experience with any plumbing installation, repairs and maintenance. We specialize in drain cleaning, leak detection water filtration, water heaters, pipe breaks and other plumbing issues.
We also offer financing options to our clients. If you need help today, make sure to contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing today for an appointment!