Garbage Disposal Tips
A garbage disposal is essential for modern kitchens. Disposals effortlessly eliminate food waste, and provide a cleaner, more functional kitchen for your use. However, disposals do require care, including routine cleaning. A garbage disposal and kitchen sink drain can contain a thousand times more bacteria that what is inside of the average toilet. Consequently, cleaning the garbage disposal properly will ensure the health of your family. Contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing Plumber in Arlington for garbage disposal repair or installation.
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
Over time, food particles may accumulate in the disposal. An odor emanating from the disposal is typically a sign of food buildup. Refer to the owner’s manual for recommended products and procedures, such as cleaning the disposal. Use the following simple procedure for maintaining a clean disposal. However, if you’re uncomfortable with the procedure, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington for professional assistance.
- Allow cold water to run down the disposal for a couple of minutes.
- Place stopper in sink opening and fill sink halfway with warm water.
- Mix 1/4 cup baking soda into the water.
- Remove the sink stopper, turn the disposal on, and the cold water to wash away loose particles.
- With the cold water continuing to run, drop a few ice cubes into the disposal. Never use your hands to push any item into the disposal. As an alternative to ice cubes and greater odor and bacteria elimination, freeze vinegar in ice trays for use in the disposal.
- If odor remains, or for a fresh scent, chop up lemon, lime or orange peels (never insert the seeds into a disposal). With the cold water running, operate the disposal until the fruit is shredded. Allow the water to run for 20 seconds or longer with unit operating, and turn the disposal off.
- If a commercial product is required for cleaning, refer to the owner’s manual for a recommended product or contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington.
Clogged Garbage Disposal
The disposal requires frequent cleaning and maintenance to ensure efficient operation and a long lifespan. To avoid the need for unnecessary repair or replacement follow these tips, or contact a plumber in Arlington today.
Reset the Unit
A unit that won’t operate may not be receiving power. On or near the bottom of the unit you will find a reset button. Press it for a few seconds, and turn on afterward. If the disposal still won’t operate, check the unit’s breaker in the home’s electrical panel, ensuring it is on. Try turning the unit on once more. If the disposal remains inoperable, try plugging the disposal into a different electrical outlet. However, if the problem remains, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington for repair.
Clear a Jam
The garbage disposal can experience a jam. Most importantly, NEVER place your hand inside a disposal. Use tongs, needle nose pliers, or other suitable object to remove the material jamming the unit. Before you begin, UNPLUG the disposal. Some units come with a wrench for clearing the jam. Follow the unit’s instructions in the owner’s manual. After clearing a jam, if the unit won’t operate press the reset button, and check the electrical breaker. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington can provide garbage disposal service for you.
Don’t place any of the following into a disposal:
- Seafood shells
- Fibrous fruits or vegetables such as corn husks, artichokes, celery, greens and others
- Glass, china, or plastic, metal
- Fat, oil, or grease (FOG)
- Do not dispose of paints, solvents, household cleaners and chemicals, automotive fluids, plastic wrap, foam (including meat trays).
- Cut food into small pieces before placing in the disposal, and only a few pieces at a time while the disposal is running.
- Always turn on the cold water BEFORE turning on the disposal. Only use cold water when grinding food material. Hot water can be used at any other time.
If you are having problems with your garbage disposal, contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Arlington for repair. Our punctual plumbers can provide garbage disposal repair, maintenance, and installation. Our professional licensed plumbers can handle your plumbing problems. We serve Arlington, Fort Worth, and the surrounding areas. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.