Gas Line Leak | Gas Line Repair Arlington
It’s a frightening thought to consider a natural gas leak in your home. If a leak were to occur in your home, would you recognize it? In its natural state, natural gas is tasteless, odorless and colorless. The characteristic rotten egg smell of natural gas is due to an added odorant called Mercaptan. Mercaptan is an additive to natural gas for assisting people to detect the odor of a gas leak. If you suspect a gas line leak, call 911 a safe distance away from your home and the odor of gas, and contact your gas supplier. Once the gas is shut off, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for gas line repair in Arlington.
Gas leaks are not very common, and gas operated equipment and appliances receiving routine maintenance provide reliable and relatively safe operation for your home.
However, although gas leaks are rare, when they do occur they are extremely dangerous. This is especially true in an enclosed environment such as your home. Natural gas can accumulate and can cause suffocation, a fire, or an explosion. However, an outdoor gas leak poses the same risks, and is just as dangerous. When a gas leak exists it is an emergency. Contact 9111, your gas supplier, and a plumber for gas line repair in Arlington.
If you have plans for outdoor projects that involve digging, or excavation, and you are uncertain where the natural gas line is located, contact your natural gas supplier, and request that they mark the locations of the gas lines. You can also call 811 for the free service. However, if you damage a gas line, don’t attempt to repair it yourself. Contact 911, your supplier, and a plumber to provide gas line repair in Arlington.
When a Gas Leak Occurs
- When you detect the odor of gas in your home, evacuate all family members immediately to a safe distance away from your home, and the odor of natural gas. Never attempt to use a phone in your home of any kind, strike a flame, turn switches, appliances, or electronics off or on when you suspect a gas leak. The tiniest spark can ignite gas, causing an explosion. Once you are safely away from the home, contact 911, and your natural gas supplier. Once the gas is turned off, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing licensed plumbers for gas line repair in Arlington.
- Leave the doors open as you exit the home. This will assist in reducing the level of gas inside the home.
- Don’t reenter your home until the gas supplier, police, firefighter or other authority figure states that it is safe. Once it’s safe to enter, contact a Ben Franklin plumber for gas line repair in Arlington.
Safety Tips for Homeowners with Natural Gas Lines
- If your home has gas logs that are not vent free, open the chimney flue to allow deadly carbon monoxide to escape.
- Don’t place combustible containers or materials near appliances that use gas.
- Don’t use a gas stove or oven to heat the home or dry clothes. Always use the vent hood when cooking on a gas stove; it is the only form of ventilation supplied to carry away carbon monoxide.
- Never place space heaters of any type, including gas heaters directly on carpet, tile or linoleum. All space heaters require a metal pad beneath them to ensure your safety from a fire.
- Ensure adequate ventilation with fresh air if you are using an unvented gas space heater. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas. Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, and replace heaters with vented models for your safety.
- Gas appliance should have a bright blue flame. An orange or yellow flame indicates a problem. Contact a professional plumber for gas line repair in Arlington.
Gas Exposure – the Symptoms
There are numerous potential symptoms due to natural gas exposure, and the symptoms can vary from person to person. The following are a few of the common symptoms related to natural gas poisoning:
- Chest Pain
- Shortness of Breath
- Loss of Conscious
Replacing a Gas Line
Over time the fittings for your gas line can deteriorate which may result in gas leaks. Generally, plumbing professionals recommend the replacement of gas lines and their fittings every (10) ten years. Contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington for gas line installation, our plumbers deliver expertise and reliable results.
Remember, if you suspect a gas line leak, call 911, your supplier, and give our plumbers in Arlington a call for gas line repair in Arlington. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing professional, licensed plumbers adhere to the highest standards in the plumbing industry, ensuring safe, professional installation, and gas line repair in Arlington. We serve Arlington, Fort Worth and the surrounding areas with first quality plumbing, backed by the exclusive Benjamin Franklin 100% satisfaction guarantee. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.