A slab leak should not be ignored or discounted; it is a very serious plumbing problem. A slab leak occurs underneath the home’s foundation where fresh water pipes and waste water pipes are located. The pipes transfer water into and/ or out of the home, and wastewater away from your home. Leaks in any of the pipes can cause serious damage to your home and its foundation. If you suspect a slab leak, contact a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Arlington.
The financial burden may already be affecting you with high water bills when the leak occurs in a water pipe. Furthermore, you can experience a high electric or gas bill if the leak affects hot water plumbing. Higher utility bills may be the first clue that you need to contact a plumber in Arlington for plumbing repair.
In addition, there may be other clues and problems due to a slab leak. These include:
- Wet carpet and ruined flooring. Hardwood and vinyl can discolor, while tile may crack.
- Leaks can soak into drywall, and wooden shoe molding, resulting in mold and mildew. Mold can cause health related problems for you and your family. Furthermore, mold remediation is costly.
- The musty odor of mold and mildew may be detectable, and if the offending pipe is a sewer pipe, your home may smell like sewage.
- The sound of running water
Signs may be visible outside of the home, as in the following:
- The home’s foundation is comprised of concrete with steel supports. Whether water or raw sewage, the liquid can result in severe damage to the foundation causing cracks, and uneven floors. Water may run from beneath the foundation and into the lawn. The water can also pool inside your home.
- Water can pool on the lawn, and may damage the grass, and landscaping.
- Dragging doors
- Peeling paint
- Low water pressure
- A warm spot on the flooring
The Causes of a Slab Leak
- Expansive clay soils expand and contract during weather changes and can cause leaks.
- Tree roots may penetrate pipes causing damage and leaks
- A poorly constructed foundation can cause pipes to leak
- Primarily found in older homes, cast iron or steel pipe corrode over time resulting in leaks
- Poorly installed plumbing from the original construction may result in leaks
- Worn plumbing, poor quality plumbing, or plumbing susceptible to the local water chemistry may result in leaks
If you suspect a leak, contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington for professional leak detection, and plumbing repair.
Slab Leak Detection
The first step in slab leak repair is verifying a leak and locating it. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington has the expertise, and the latest technology to provide accurate leak detection, and repair of water leaks.
Sewer pipe repair utilizes a state-of-the-art video pipe inspection with a high resolution, waterproof camera, to view the inside of the pipe. The real time image enables the plumber in Arlington to identify sewer pipe issues, and a precise location for repair.
Benjamin Franklin Plumbing offers reliable, licensed plumbers for professional plumbing services in homes and businesses alike. If you need slab leak repair, or other plumbing services, give us a call. We serve Arlington, Fort Worth, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.