Emergency Plumbing Tips | Plumber in Arlington TX
When a water leak occurs, prompt action is required to prevent severe damage to your home and potentially, its foundation. Use the following emergency plumbing tips before calling a Benjamin Franklin Plumbing plumber in Arlington. If you are unable to provide the following, give us a call for a fast response.
- Water Leaks can damage your home quickly, causing costly damage and even mold or mildew. Shut the water off as soon as you discover a leak. When the leak is in a water supply line you will need to shut the water off at the main valve or the water meter. However, when the leak occurs in a fixture with its own shutoff valve, you can avoid shutting the water off of the entire home by turning the valve off. Shut off valves should be “exercised” at least once per year to ensure they do not seize up and fail.
- An overflowing toilet is a problem no one wants. Turn off its shut off valve if present. If no shut off valve is available, turn the water off at the main valve or the water meter. Contact a Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington for toilet repair. In addition, our plumbers can install shut off valves for you.
- Turning off a leaking appliance will depend on its location, and whether or not it has a shut off valve, and if you are able to reach it. If the shutoff valve is not handy, it may be faster to turn the water off at the home’s main valve or the water meter. When a washing machine overflows, turn off its water supply. This should stop the water. If the leak is one of the appliance’s water hoses, close the valve attached to the hose until it can be replaced.
- When flooding conditions are present, remember that electricity and water are a dangerous combination. Never enter a flooded location until the power has been turned off. If you are unable to access to the home’s electrical panel without entering the water, leave it to the experts who have the appropriate safety gear.
- Gas Leaks are a serious emergency requiring immediate action. Never attempt to turn off or repair a gas leak yourself due to the inherent dangers of natural gas. Evacuate all occupants of your home immediately, call 911 from a safe distance away, and contact your gas provider. When the gas is off and the officials in charge declare your home safe to enter, contact a licensed, qualified plumber in Arlington for gas line repair.
- Water heater leaks may occur without warning. Inspect your water heater, the walls and flooring surrounding it for evidence of a leak. If a leak occurs, turn off the main water supply, and shut off the breaker supplying electricity to the water heater, or the gas supply, depending on the type water heater. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Arlington for water heater repair. In addition, routine maintenance on the water heater will help to extend its service life while saving you on the cost of energy with the best possible performance. Furthermore, when annual maintenance is provided by a licensed Ben Franklin plumber in Arlington, the plumber will provide a comprehensive inspection, and can provide repair while on site. Professional service can help to reduce the potential for leaks by identifying problems earlier. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Arlington today to schedule maintenance and inspection of your water heater.
- Yard line leaks and interior water supply leaks require turning the water off at the water meter. Contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Arlington for water line repair.
- Water meter or pipe leaks on the street side is the responsibility of your water provider. Water leaks on the side of your property are your responsibility. Turn the water off at the meter and contact a Ben Franklin plumber in Arlington for leak repair on your side of the meter, and the water department for leaks on the street side of the meter.
- Flood alarms alert you to flooding conditions in your home. They vary from sirens to wireless contact with a smart phone or tablet. In addition, some models are available with an automatic water shut off feature.
If you have questions regarding these emergency plumbing tips, or other inquiries regarding our services, give us a call. A Benjamin Franklin plumber in Arlington can provide professional plumbing services for your plumbing needs with the expertise you can rely on. We serve Fort Worth, Arlington, and the surrounding areas, and are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.