Plumbing Fort Worth
Tips to Save Water
The repair of water leaks in your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth will certainly conserve water and prevent serious damage to your home and its foundation. However, if the water bill is high, or you simply choose to conserve the resource, there are numerous ways to reduce water consumption without purchasing low flow fixtures. True, low flow fixtures will save an even higher amount, but conservation can begin with little or no investment when you use the following tips to save water.
- Don’t allow rinse water to run when washing dishes by hand. For a double-basin sink, fill one side with rinse water and the other with soapy wash water. For a single-basin sink, dishes can be washed in a dishpan, and the sink basin filled with rinse water.
- Turn the water off when brushing your teeth and save approximately 5 gallons. Turn the water on when you’re ready to rinse.
- Place a few drops of food coloring in the toilet tank to test for a leaking flapper valve.
- Some toilet float valves are adjustable to reduce the amount of water in the tank for a flush.
- Reduce the amount of water for tub baths, or take a shower instead.
- Reducing the time for a shower saves water, and the energy consumed heat water.
- Don’t leave the water running while you shave. Using a basin to shave from can save water and prevent hair clogs in the drain. Use the water on plants after it cools.
- Locate water leaks with an inspection of the home’s plumbing in Fort Worth. If you suspect a slow leak from indoor or outdoor faucets, place a container beneath the spigot. If water collects in the container, the faucet has a leak. Contact a plumber to provide the professional repair of your home’s plumbing in Fort Worth.
- Collect water that would otherwise be poured down the drain to water indoor and outdoor plants. Allow boiling water to cool before use. Don’t water plants with water containing grease, salt or vinegar as they can kill plants.
- Save laundry and dishes until you have a full load, or set on a lower water level for small loads that can’t wait.
- Wash the car one section at a time. Wet down a section and shut the water off. After washing, rinse and wet another section down. Check for and repair leaky garden hoses.
- Install soaker hoses for gardens and flowerbeds, rather than sprinklers that waste water. Water plants early in the morning or late in the evening to reduce loss due to evaporation.
- Plant drought tolerant species of plants and mulch the plants.
- Use a leaf blower to blow off drives, patios, and sidewalks, rather than a garden hose.
Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for plumbing repair, plumbing installation, maintenance, and other services for your plumbing in Fort Worth. Our professional licensed plumbers offer reliable expertise for all your plumbing needs. Our plumbers serve Fort Worth, Arlington and the surrounding areas. Benjamin Franklin is a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.