You rely on your plumbing system all day long, which is why plumbing issues can be a nightmare. Most plumbing problems can prevent you from performing specific tasks or make life in your home inconvenient.
Unless you’re a licensed plumber, DIY plumbing repair isn’t recommended. Licensed plumbers go through years of education and internship to learn their craft and to fix plumbing systems correctly. If you don’t have the necessary training, you could turn a minor issue into something major that is more challenging to repair with a much higher bill.
If your plumbing system experiences any of the following issues, it’s best to call a plumbing service in Mansfield, TX, to handle the repair.
Rust or corrosion can cause the pipes in your home to leak, as well as a loose or disconnected joint or failed sealing. Plumbing leaks can cause water damage and mold growth in your home; therefore, it’s best to call a plumbing service if you have a leak.
Some leaks are easily detected, like leaks under the sink or behind a wall. You’ll see standing water when you open the kitchen cabinet or bathroom vanity when a pipe under the sink is leaking, and a leak behind the wall will leave visible water spots on the wall. It can be more challenging to detect leaks under the house, so you should know what to look for. These leaks can cause puddles of water in the yard, a warm basement floor, and damage to your home’s foundation in severe cases. In rare cases, the only sign of a leak is a higher water bill than usual. If you suspect there’s a leaking pipe, it’s best to schedule an appointment for plumbing service right away.
A plumber can use leak detection equipment to locate the leaking pipe quickly, so they can replace the damaged part, preventing further water damage.
#2 Brown or Rust-Colored Water
The water coming from your faucets and shower heads should be clean and clear. Brown water indicates contamination, and you should call a plumbing service immediately. Water damage can occur if the pipes are rusted or corroded and also if there’s a break in a line underneath your house. Waiting to call a professional is a bad idea because using contaminated water is not safe, and you rely on running water all day.
A licensed plumber can find the pipe causing the contamination to make the necessary repair, and you can start using the water again. If you must use the water before the problem is resolved, you should boil it first to ensure it’s safe.
#3 Poor Water Pressure
Adequate water pressure is essential, so simple daily tasks like washing your hair and doing the dishes don’t take longer than necessary. Also, your water-based appliances, such as the dishwasher, washing machine, and refrigerator with a water dispenser and ice maker, rely on adequate water pressure to function at peak performance.
If the water pressure is poor, it’s best to call a plumbing service in Mansfield, TX. Several issues can affect the water pressure, and you’ll need a licensed plumber to determine which one is causing the problem.
- An issue with the main shut-off valve
- A problem with the water meter valve
- Failing pressure regulator
- A significant clog in the pipes
- Severely corroded pipes
- Leaking pipes
Because there are multiple causes for this one problem, a DIY repair is a bad idea, and you should hire a plumber. The sooner you hire a professional, the sooner the water pressure will be restored, so it’s best to make the call immediately after detecting the problem.
#4 Drain Issues
When you run the water, it should flow freely and quickly down the drain. Drain issues can affect the water’s ability to drain and the speed and can make life in your home inconvenient.
Some homeowners will try to use a liquid drain cleaner as a DIY method to remove a clog, but this isn’t the best idea. There’s no guarantee the drain cleaner will remove the entire clog, and if part of the clog remains, it won’t be long before you’re dealing with another drain issue. Also, these products contain harsh chemicals that could damage the pipes, and a liquid drain cleaner is useless for certain drain issues.
It’s best to call a plumbing service in Mansfield, TX, if you experience any of the following drain issues.
- Slow drains: When water drains slowly, there’s likely a small clog in the drain. If you’re doing something that requires running water for a significant amount of time, such as showering, washing the dishes, or brushing your teeth, the sink or tub could overflow.
- Clogged drains: A clogged drain won’t allow the water to drain, resulting in standing water in the sink or tub. This is a problem because you won’t be able to use the tub or sink until the entire clog is removed.
- Noisy drains: Do your drains make a gurgling sound when the water drains? If so, there’s likely a significant clog in the drain. Large clogs can prevent the water from draining, and it will change directions to find another route. The change in direction causes a gurgling sound, and ignoring the problem could result in a clogged drain and standing water.
- Multiple drain clogs: If various drains in your home are clogged, it’s probably not a coincidence. A clog in the sewer line can cause multiple drains to drain slowly or clog entirely. Attempting to remove a clog in the sewer line yourself is a bad idea, and it’s best to call a plumbing service.
Your drain’s health is essential in allowing the water to flow freely down the drain and out of your home, and it’s best to hire a plumber the moment you detect a drain issue.
#5 Toilet Clogs
It’s not uncommon for a toilet to clog from time to time, and when too much waste and toilet paper are flushed, it can cause a clog. The same is true if you flush things that shouldn’t be flushed, such as baby wipes, paper towels, washcloths, and or a child’s toy.
In most cases, plunging the toilet will break up the clog enough that it can be flushed. However, if the plunger doesn’t work, trying to flush the toilet will result in an overflow on the bathroom floor, and you’ll need to call a plumbing service in Mansfield, TX. A plumber can use a toilet auger to break up the clog and push it down, allowing you to flush the toilet again. The plumber can remove the toilet if the clog is located too far down the drainpipe, allowing them to reach and remove it.
You won’t be able to use the toilet until the clog is removed, which is frustrating, especially if you only have one bathroom. Calling a plumbing service immediately will allow you to use the toilet as quickly as possible.
#6 Water Heater Issues
Your water heater is technically an appliance, but it’s also an essential part of your plumbing system. The water coming into your home is cold, and it fills the water tank, where it’s heated and stored, so you always have hot water when you need it. If something goes wrong with the unit, it can affect the water temperature and quality.
You rely on hot water for many daily household tasks, and your hot-water-based appliances rely on hot water to function at peak performance. If your water heater experiences any of the following issues, it’s best to call a plumbing service right away.
- You have no hot water, which could be due to a faulty heating element, or the water heater has reached the end of its lifespan.
- The water doesn’t get hotter than lukewarm, often due to a faulty thermostat or heating element. If the unit is over ten years old, it may not be able to function efficiently, affecting the water temperature.
- Reduced hot water pressure due to a sediment clog in the waterline. If the sediment cannot be flushed from the tank, you’ll need to replace the water heater.
- Brown or rust-colored water is often caused by sediment in the tank that breaks apart, contaminating the hot water. If the unit is over ten years old, the inside of the tank could be breaking down, and shards of metal and minerals contaminate the water, and you’ll need a plumbing service to replace the unit.
- Banging sounds coming from the water tank are often due to large pieces of sediment in the tank. If the sediment cannot be flushed, you’ll need to replace the water heater to prevent the sediment from cracking the tank.
- Pooling water around the unit indicates a leak in the tank. Leaks cannot be fixed, and you will need to replace the water heater.
- You run out of hot water quickly, and this occurs if your water heater isn’t large enough to handle your family’s hot water demand. A plumbing service can replace the unit with a larger one or a tankless model that provides hot water on demand. This issue can also occur when large amounts of sediment build up in the tank, and there’s less room for water storage.
Water heater issues can make your life inconvenient, and some can result in a flood, so it’s best to call a plumbing service as soon as you notice a problem.
#7 Dripping Faucet
A dripping faucet may seem like a minor nuisance, but it’s more serious than you think and can cost you a lot of money. A faucet that drips one drop per second can waste 11 gallons of water per day, and up to 330 gallons per month, causing your water bills to increase considerably. Also, this amount of wasted water is harmful to the environment, and it’s best to call a plumbing service right away.
A few issues can cause the faucet to drip, such as a worn-out gasket or washer, a loose O ring, corrosion in the valve seat, or the faucet has reached the end of its lifespan. A plumbing service in Mansfield, TX, can send a plumber to inspect the faucet to find the cause and make the necessary repair.
#8 Frozen Pipes
Winter days in Mansfield, TX, are relatively mild, but the temperature drops significantly at night, putting the pipes at risk of freezing. The same is true during a cold snap. If you try to turn on the water when it’s below 32 degrees and nothing comes out, you should call a plumbing service immediately.
When the pipes freeze, the water in the pipes also freezes and expands, resulting in burst pipes that will flood your home. A plumbing service will send someone to your home to thaw the pipes as quickly as possible before the pipes burst. The plumber can also wrap the pipes in heated tape to prevent the pipes from freezing again.
Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth Today
If you need to hire a plumbing service in Mansfield, TX, look no further than Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth. We’re a full-service plumbing company with an excellent reputation in the community and industry, with an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and a 5-star rating on Google.
Our plumbers are professionally trained and have the knowledge and experience to handle any plumbing job, whether something simple or more complex. If you have a plumbing issue that can’t wait until a plumber can get to your home, don’t panic. We provide emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and we will get a plumber to your home as quickly as possible to solve the problem.
We understand your time is very valuable, and we promise our plumbers will be punctual. If you hire a plumber and they’re late, we’ll pay you $5 for every minute until they arrive.
To schedule an appointment for plumbing service, give Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth a call or book online.