Photo By F8 studio at Shutterstock
Over 65 million homes in the US rely on natural gas for providing power to stoves, water heaters, and other important household appliances. Natural gas is one of the most widely used resources because it is very combustible. This means that burning small amounts of gas can produce a large amount of heat.
This is the reason why a gas leak should never be taken casually. Even a minor leak can result in an accumulation of gas and can cause an explosion. As soon as you notice the sulfuric smell that is very familiar to the smell of rotting eggs, contact a company that specializes in gas line repair in Saginaw, TX.
Causes of a Gas Leak
Gas leaks in a home can occur because of multiple reasons. Some of the most common causes of a gas leak are:
The underground pipes in the house can erode and wear out over time due to many reasons. It is even possible that the pipes wear out and disconnect. This can cause gas to accumulate in your house. The poor health of your pipes is one of the major causes of a gas leak which needs immediate gas line repair in Saginaw, TX.
Appliances like water heaters and stoves rely on natural gas to do what they’re designed for. When installing new appliances, it is a good idea to seek help from a professional gas line repair company in Saginaw, TX. They will ensure that the appliance is fitted properly and that there is no leakage of gas.
Over time, the seals which connect the pipes to these appliances wear out. The wear and tear of these seals is one of the potential causes of a gas leak. If you have been using an appliance for some time, it is always a good idea to contact a professional service that deals in gas line repair in Saginaw, TX that can provide repair and maintenance to your appliance and can guard your family against a potential gas leak.
A Gas Leak Is Dangerous
A gas leak can be very dangerous because of the properties of natural gas. Natural gas is very combustible. If there is a leak in your house, even a slight spark can result in a fire. What makes it more dangerous is that it doesn’t need an open flame to ignite. A spark from a lighter or even turning on a faulty TV can light up the natural gas that’s leaking in your house.
The magnitude of the threat of a raging fire depends on how large the leak is. Small gas leaks do not ignite but can be toxic when inhaled. Larger leaks are more dangerous as they can quickly catch fire.
If natural gas is not burning properly, it releases carbon monoxide. A carbon monoxide leak is more dangerous than a natural gas leak. Exposure to carbon monoxide can have many side effects, including nausea, headache, and an upset stomach. The inhalation of excess carbon monoxide is fatal for human beings and common house pets.
Gas Leak Detection
A natural gas leak can be easily detected by the smell. If you notice a sulfuric smell that is very familiar to the smell of rotting eggs, it is likely that there is a gas leak in your house. Even if you notice a very mild smell, do not take the risk and contact a professional service that specializes in gas line repair in Saginaw, TX.
Another way to detect a gas leak is a change in the color of a flame. If the flame is orange or yellow in color rather than blue, it means that there is a gas leak. If you notice a change in the color of the flame from your stove, call a gas line repair professional in Saginaw, TX to avoid any fire or damage to your health or property.
Natural gas can be easily detected due to its odor, but carbon monoxide is odorless. You can notice a carbon monoxide leak if you notice symptoms like lightheadedness, nausea, headache, and an upset stomach.
Both natural gas and carbon monoxide can be toxic so as soon as you notice any of the symptoms, contact a professional for gas line repair in Saginaw, TX.
Gas Leak Prevention
A gas leak is a dangerous condition but certainly an avoidable one. A gas leak can be avoided by regular repair and maintenance of all your appliances which are connected to the gas line. A gas line repair professional in Saginaw, TX, can check whether or not your appliances are connected properly. Also, they will check and ensure that the seals connecting the appliance and the pipes are in the right shape.
Regular maintenance of appliances like water heaters can also help in preventing and gas leaks. Regular check up with a professional gas line repair technician in Saginaw, TX can save you and your family from a very dangerous hassle.
It is always advised that while you are traveling, turn off your gas and electric supply. This is because of the risk of a spark from any electrical appliance in the house. In the case of a gas leak, this spark can ignite a dangerous fire which can burn your entire house down.
Measures in Case of a Gas Leak
In case of a gas leak, it is most important to rely on your instinct. As soon as you notice the smell of natural gas or experience symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, turn off your gas supply to prevent any further damage. After you have turned off the supply, it is crucial that you get some fresh air in the room to disperse the gas. You can do this by simply opening the doors and windows in your house.
Once you have followed the immediate steps necessary to prevent any damage from a gas leak, it is important to contact the Natural Gas helpline. It is a toll-free number which you can reach out to 24/7. The number – 0800-111-999 – should be saved in your cell phone to avoid any unforeseen circumstances.
Benjamin Franklin Fort Worth provides the best gas line repair in Saginaw, TX. Our skilled professionals will provide timely service at a reasonable price. We also provide emergency service for gas line repair to avoid any damage to your health and property. For more information, contact 817-983-7876