Emergency plumbing repairs can be incredibly expensive. Thankfully, there are ways to avoid costly plumbing issues. Your plumbing can stay in excellent shape with proper maintenance and regular inspections. Check out our tips below on how to take care of your plumbing. For further questions, please contact a plumber in Mansfield, TX, today.
Get a Routine Plumbing Inspection
Hiring a professional for a regular plumbing inspection can give you peace of mind. During the appointment, the plumber can thoroughly check your entire plumbing system to determine plumbing issues that could lead to an expensive repair. You don’t have to worry about hidden leaks and other issues with professional maintenance.
A regular plumbing inspection doesn’t only ensure an efficient plumbing system, it helps you avoid costly plumbing repairs too. While homeowners can always inspect their plumbing appliances and fixtures for any damage or wear and tear, some issues are difficult to spot. Only a professional diagnoses hidden leaks and other problems.
When was the last time you had your plumbing checked? We recommend calling a professional in Mansfield, TX, today for routine maintenance. It’s the only way to ensure that your plumbing is in top shape.
Get in touch with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth today for routine maintenance. Our plumbers are highly trained and experienced in tackling plumbing issues, big or small. We can also help with major plumbing installations. We also offer emergency plumbing — Call us at any time of the day and we will quickly dispatch a plumber to your location.
Don’t Neglect the Washing Machine Hoses
If you have a laundry room, please inspect them regularly, especially the washing machine hoses. Check the hoses for any wear & tear or damage and contact a plumber in your area, right away if you need a replacement. Consider switching to stainless steel washing machine hoses as they are more durable and last longer. The only downside is that they are more expensive than the rubber washing machine hoses. However, you won’t have to worry about flooding the laundry room with stainless steel hoses. We do recommend you only work with a licensed plumber to install the new hoses.
Like the rest of your plumbing, don’t take the laundry room for granted. Include them in your inspections to ensure there are no issues with the appliances there. Otherwise, you may spend a fortune repairing damages caused by flooding. Remember, water can jeopardize your home’s foundation and destroy your appliances too. You can avoid this with proper maintenance and by being proactive. If you suspect something is wrong, get in touch with a professional, immediately.
Install Leak Detection Devices
A leak detection device can detect leaks in your plumbing, alert the homeowner, and automatically shut off the water supply to prevent further damage. Consider installing these near your water heater, dishwasher, garbage disposal, or washing machine.
Most plumbing leaks are obvious — you see a puddle of water near the water heater or the pipes burst. However, some leaks are not obvious to a regular homeowner. These are hidden leaks and they can potentially lead to a major plumbing emergency when not addressed promptly.
Signs of hidden leaks include higher bills, mold, and water spots in the walls or ceilings. Contact a professional for leak detection services when you suspect a leak in your plumbing.
You can also test for leaks by doing a water meter test. Check the reading in the water meter and turn off the tap or showers. Make sure no one else uses the tap. Recheck the water meter again and compare the current reading with the previous one. If they’re different, there is likely a leak somewhere in your plumbing. It’s time to call a licensed professional in Mansfield, TX, for an inspection. And that’s where we come in. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth is committed to providing top-notch plumbing services on every appointment. Call us today.
Protect Your Pipes
Homeowners must insulate their pipes when the temperature starts dropping. Otherwise, the water inside the pipes can freeze and the pipes can burst. You could end up flooding your home if you fail to protect your pipes.
Another way to avoid frozen pipes is by slightly opening the faucet to let warm water circulate in the pipes. Try to open the cabinet doors so that warm air can also circulate inside. If you need further assistance, please contact a professional right away.
Get Professional Drain Cleaning
The last thing a homeowner wants is a clogged drain. Your kitchen won’t only smell and attract unwanted pests when the drains clog. The water can also overflow and damage your floors.
A slow drain is usually the first symptom. If you can’t resolve slow drains with a plunger or with regular cleaning, consider getting a professional drain cleaning to get rid of the clog.
We also recommend you get regular drain cleaning to ensure your drains are in excellent shape. In addition, consider installing a garbage disposal to help you properly manage food waste. And for installation, hire a licensed plumber only.
Install a Sump Pump
A sump pump can avoid a plumbing emergency in the basement. Consider installing this especially when your area is prone to getting storms. But make sure to test your sump pump first by pouring water into the pit, enough to activate the float switch. When the sump pump doesn’t work, contact a plumber in Mansfield, TX, for assistance.
Regulate the Water Pressure
How is the water pressure in your home? When it’s too high, buy a pressure regulator to help you regulate your home’s water pressure. Remember, high water pressure can strain the pipes and damage them eventually. You can avoid costly emergency repairs by regulating the water pressure.
Low water pressure is also bad news as it indicates a leak in your plumbing. Contact a plumber for assistance.
Maintain Your Water Heater
It would be difficult to function without your water heater, which is why it’s crucial that you regularly maintain your unit. Regular water heater maintenance doesn’t just avoid costly emergency plumbing repairs, you get to also save money on your energy bill. Below are helpful ways to help you properly maintain your water heater. If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact a licensed professional for assistance.
Tips to maintaining your water heater:
- Inspect your water heater regularly for any damage. Regular inspections let you avoid flooding in the basement. You get to address issues before they become an expensive plumbing problem.
- If you have a water heater tank, you need to flush out the sediment building up at the bottom of the tank at least once annually. It’s important to remove the buildup because it can affect the efficiency of your water heater. You can save money by flushing the mineral buildup once a year.
- Test the pressure relief valve regularly to ensure it’s still properly working. The valve is designed to release pressure when too much of it builds up within your water heater. Contact a plumbing professional if you don’t know how to test the pressure relief valve.
- If you have an old water heater tank, it’s unlikely to be insulated. You can extend the lifespan of your water heater by insulating the tank. You get to also save energy as a result.
- Get it professionally inspected by a plumber. Don’t just get an inspection when you suspect there’s a problem. Do this at least a year or once every other year. As much as possible, don’t neglect any minor problems as that might also lead to a plumbing repair that can cost you a fortune. Call a professional plumber immediately for assistance.
Some homeowners are worried about the water heater leaking in the basement. Flooding can be expensive, not to mention the costs associated with structural damage. If you want to avoid flooding, consider switching to a tankless water heater.
Tankless water heaters heat water on demand, saving you more money in the long run. It also lets you conserve more energy as there’s no heat loss with the tankless version. Also, these compact units can be mounted on the bathroom wall, saving you more space. For installation, please make sure to only hire a licensed professional in your area.
Avoid DIY Plumbing
Some videos may be helpful to some homeowners but they may not provide you with enough information. Also, if you make a mistake, the video may not provide resolutions. You could end up damaging your appliances or flooding your home when you’re not careful.
While homeowners can take care of minor plumbing work, always call licensed plumbers in Mansfield, TX, if you need help with major repairs and installations. Don’t attempt to do them on your own to avoid issues associated with incorrect installations.
Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth today for all your plumbing needs. We offer a wide range of plumbing services to all homeowners and businesses. Whether you need help with leak detection, professional plumbing maintenance, or repairs, we can help. We are also open 24/7 to cater to plumbing emergencies.
How to Maintain Your Plumbing Systems
As mentioned, regular plumbing maintenance lets you avoid costly plumbing emergencies. Below are some tips to help you maintain your entire plumbing system.
- To prevent drain clogs, don’t throw grease, oil, and large food particles down the drain. Get a drain cover to catch debris or hair.
- If there are small children in your household, educate them on how to properly use the toilet. They shouldn’t flush their toys or dirt in the toilet to avoid clogs.
- When cleaning the drains, don’t use chemical-based drain cleaners as they can be harmful to your family and to your plumbing pipes. Instead, use vinegar and baking soda solution to properly clean your drains.
- Do not waste water. Turn off the tap if you’re not using the water and flush the toilet properly.
- Check your entire plumbing at least once a week for wear & tear, and leaks. Contact a plumber in Mansfield, TX, asap when you suspect a problem with your plumbing. Our plumbers are equipped with the right tools to help us properly diagnose the problem and provide the best plumbing solution.
- When checking for leaks, make sure to also look for signs of hidden leaks such as cracks in the walls or damaged wallpapers. Get a professional leak detection when you can’t determine the leak.
- You can extend the lifespan of your appliances and plumbing fixtures with professional maintenance. Hire a licensed plumber only for inspection to avoid more problems with your plumbing.
- If you’re going on vacation, make sure to protect your plumbing including the pipes to avoid freezing. Drain your water heater and protect outdoor plumbing. If you need more assistance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with a licensed plumber.
- Only use the right plumbing tools for your drains or other minor repair work. But if you’re not confident about properly using them, we suggest you contact a professional plumber instead.
Contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth
Do you need a licensed plumber in Mansfield, TX, today? Our team of trusted and highly reliable plumbers can help! There’s no plumbing task we can’t resolve — whether you’re dealing with a major leak in your plumbing or installation work, we are more than happy to help! Our team can also install all types of plumbing appliances and fixtures, including ENERGY STAR appliances. To set an appointment, you may send us a message or call us at your earliest convenience. Should you need help with emergencies, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We cater to emergency services too and we’re quite fast! Also, we are never late. Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Fort Worth today for an appointment!